Customer reviews

Doctor Who: The Doctor - His Lives and Times (Dr Who)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 October 2013
First, I want to point out that fans in North America should consider buying *this* version of the book, through Amazon UK. In the USA, it will not be released until Jan 7, 2014, and only as a softcover. This is a treasure well worth having in hardback. Along with "Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years", "The Doctor - His Lives and Times" is one of the two "must have" books commemorating the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.

"The Doctor - His Lives and Times" is a like graphical narrative of the series as seen by Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. In other words, previously unseen fictional details of events, objects and characters from the history of the show, such as a glimpse into the 500 Year Diary, UNIT memos, newspaper and magazine articles, and so much more that I wouldn't want to spoil.

Also interspersed throughout are hundreds of quotes and insights from the actors, production crew and others through the years. In addition, the book includes so many photos I've never seen, despite decades of reading Doctor Who Magazine (since it was Weekly!) and uncountable books and tie-ins.

Casually paging through it is a delight. Reading closely is like finding deleted scenes on a DVD. Don't hesitate, get it now, or gift it this Christmas.
on 12 January 2014
I love this book, it is a must have for any Doctor Who fan and offers insights into his travels, viewed through the eyes of other people. There are postcards, photographs and newspaper articles all written from an "in-universe" perspective. There are also interviews with the actors, writers, producers, etc. looking back over the era of each Doctor which is a nice way to round off the story. The book is very well presented and the hardcover really makes it feel like you are holding something special. The only minor complaint I would have is that it was published after The Name of the Doctor but before the 50th Anniversary Special The Day of the Doctor so there is only a brief glimpse of John Hurt's Doctor and for obvious reasons doesn't mention anything relating to the 50th Anniversary special. For a sense of completeness, it might have been nice if this was published after Matt Smith's regeneration so his entire era could be summarised at the end of the book but it's not a big problem. Highly recommended as a gift for someone or for yourself!
I loved this book. The balance between fact and fiction elements was perfect. Ever era of the show is explored through interviews and vignettes from the episodes as well as quotes from luminaries from those eras. I am one of those fans that is not that interested in the production and how the show is made...just so long as they keep making great stories...so I don't usually go for the factual stuff particularly. But this book has the balance perfectly. I bought the book to dip in to and leave on the shelf, but I ended up reading it from cover to cover.
on 24 November 2017
I’m a doctor who fan of course I loved it good price well packed arrived in good time
on 5 March 2014
I have been waiting a long time for this book as I first saw it on the high street for £20 which i was going to pay, but I thought I would check Amazon and I am so happy I did because I got this for £12. I gave it 5 stars because I think it is great for everything doctor who, I love the way it is set up with the messages, notes and newspaper articles. I love this book and I would recommend any doctor who fan to buy this. One word describes this book and that is ...... Fantastic....

Great book, Great price and a great big smile. :D
on 21 January 2018
ok
on 23 October 2013
This combination of a look at the factual and fictional worlds of 'Doctor Who' contains a great deal of enjoyable material. The latter in particular has some great jokes for fans old and new.

Definitely worth getting.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 April 2017
Mrs Wolf (a rabid Whovian) loved it!
on 14 May 2014
Bought as a present for a huge Dr Who fan this present went down well! It really is a must for young and old. So many facts. Highly recommended.
on 14 January 2016
Something to have for all Doctor Who fans!!!