Customer reviews

Doctor Who Who-ology (Dr Who)
The 50th Anniversary of the Dr series of programmes brought out a plethora of books covering the programme and its history. So this book ( again by BBC books) is but one of many covering ( in this case) up to 2012/13.
I have probably ( at one time or another) seen all of the episodes since the first dramatic episode in November 1963 (broadcast delayed by the death of President Kennedy , if I remember correctly) .(I will never know if I am correct as , sadly , so many of the early episodes ( film or early video) were trashed by the BBC and odd film copies only arise now in odd parts of the world like Nigeria – not that Nigeria itself is odd – just that finding Dr Who film there is somewhat unusual)
So to the book – it starts with a 50 year diary of the Who timeline
It proceeds to discussing companions, villains, sonic screwdrivers and onto such gem trivia as to which actors also featured in Coronation street , the archers, James Bond , Harry Potter and other worthy programmes and films . Famous first and last words , time lord abilities , UNIT , the Tardis and its technology and the like are among many of the topics tackled. ( Too many to mention here)
It ends by listing by month/year of the Who episodes (with dates of transmission but little about the actual plots )
The book is for the dedicated WHO trivia buff aiming to bore the local pub to tears but if you wanted exact details and plots of the programmes in order you may need to look elsewhere – still give it a 5 star rating for effort and shear zaniness.
on 26 May 2013
I love this bok. It is great if you are a whovian. It has everything about Doctor Who. From the very first episode to the Chirstmas Special 2012 with Clara (Jenna-Louise Coleman) I Absolutely love this book.
on 27 February 2015
This is a good book if you like statistics,who said or did what,why they said/did it and to what effect.All there is to know about the first fifty years of the series,episodes,Tardises,(Tardi?),sonic screwdrivers,companions and most importantly the various incarnations of the Doctor and lots of info you wouldn't even think of were it not for this book.As has been said in other reviews,this is not so much a book to read from cover to cover - more a book full of facts,figures and details - a book to read between books!
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present to myself and am very glad I did. There are plenty of facts but it is easy to browse or dip into without having to wade through copious amounts of text.

The only criticism is that inevitably it is out of date - roll on the 60th anniversary update!
on 29 May 2013
ok, its a very large book for its kind and full of stuff that you probably don't want to know; but for the content you do wat its stocked with bits from the 50 year run.

As the other reviwers say its full of mistakes, and the very first paragraph on the first page is wrong and even a new fan can see the error of the authors (i'll let you work it out as its a very DOH moment for the authors) but their heart is in the right place and no-one can be expected to get everything right - its a pity they didn't get some true fans to proof read before going to publish, but hopefully the second print run can change a lot of the obvious mistakes.

But don't let that put you off, its a good occasional read (I mean you can read for 5 mins and put down again without spoiling the flow of information, in fact I recomend you do onely read in small ammounts or you'll easily gloss over some golden nuggests of information.
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2013
Initial impressions of this book were that it had thick pages and large text. If you are looking for in-depth information about anything in particular it probably won't be found here, but then the book only presents itself as a collection of trivia, and in that it abounds.
It covers Doctor Who up to mid season 7 and as I have read through it I have found a little bit of information about very many things. It is a good book for what it is, unfortunately for me that was mostly trivial.
In the end I am not unhappy with my purchase, but it is perhaps a tad over-priced for what it offers.
on 8 June 2013
Some amazing bits of trivia and lots of "Wow! I didn't know that!" Who knew that there were so many connections between Doctor Who and Star Trek, Star Wars, etc, etc.
on 4 February 2014
Great fun , well put together and enjoyable . I really had a great time reading this it is full of info an well put together . Ok some have pointed out it doesn't go into real fandom detail , but in my opinion it doesn't need to . It tells both the casual and dedicated fan enough to keep them happy and tells it in a fun and interesting way for all ages to enjoy . I got the kindle version , so my only slight gripe would be some of the charts are a little difficult to read there but hey other than that really can't fault it .
on 19 June 2013
I love this book, I am an avid dr who fan and I am loving all these special books that are coming out for the 50th anniversary. Delivery was quick and item was in perfect condition, I already have my eye on some other books that are similar to this and have another in my collection. If you have someone you know that loves all things Dr Who then this is an ideal gift even if it is for yourself lol .
on 14 May 2014
I admit, I fought something called 'Who-Ology' would have lavish illustrations and a variety of interesting facts. However, it's just trivia, page after page of trivia. Way over priced for basically just lists of trivial facts. It's funny sometimes, interesting here and there but for the most part it just isn't that good - and certainly not what I was expecting...