on 25 May 2016
I believe that in this book, as with his other books, Rick Stein does not set out to button down the authenticity but, rather, to provide interesting and achievable recipes - achievable in the sense that he uses ingredients which are readily available in the UK.
I have visited India dozens of times and have been to many of its towns and cities - from Kolkata in the northeast, to Chennai in the southeast, from Delhi in the northwest, to Trivandrum in the southwest and many points in between - after all that, the one thing I feel qualified to say is that, unlike many of the other reviewers here, I cannot define what authentic Indian food is, as there is such enormous variety from region to region and even within each region.
Additionally, I have only very rarely tried street food, with most of my eating being in restaurants in four and five star hotels or in top line restaurants
Against this background, I feel that Rick gives a good idea of what Indian food can be and that each recipe should be taken as a basis, subject to modification to individual preferences.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 March 2016
A beautifully produced book, full of colour and inspiration. Maybe not for the purists out there as some of the recipes are not authentic; whatever that means. As Indian cuisine is the original fusion food that shouldn't matter. As even garam masala has no agreed composition, how can there be an agreed recipe for anything. In any event, the book is based on a TV program and doesn't claim to be a definitive work on classical Indian food. Some reviewers have carped that the recipes are too hot. This is a pretty pointless criticism as it all depends on the type of chilli you use. Stein even makes the point that the Kashmiri chillies he uses are relatively mild.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 November 2016
Arrived on time and in perfect condition. I am a huge fan of Rick Stein! I have watched all of his BBC travel cooking programs and enjoy his style of cooking. It is simple, doesn't require fancy equipment or really fancy ingredients. There aren't a million steps to each recipe. I've made a few dishes from this book and I'm yet to be disappointed. There are photos to guide you as to what the final product should look like. He write clear instructions and it's not off putting as usually there are no more than 5 steps to each dish. There are some spices that I've had to go to Asian supermarkets for but nothing too unusual. Really recommend for anyone that enjoys delicious Indian food!
on 16 November 2017
A beautiful book, with loads of recipes. From the TV series. Yet to try but am going to. Might have some difficulty with some ingredients but hopefully the nearest Asian supermarket may have most of what is in the book, if not at standard supermarkets.
on 22 November 2014
I bought this book as a present for my husband and I don't think we have ever used a recipe book more. Haven't had an issue with any recipe and have loved every thing made so far. Prior to buying this book we used to get Indian takeaway about 1-2times per month; since buying we have bought it once! My Mum was so impressed with the butter chicken that she has also bought the book and also loves it. Some of the recipes do require a bit of prep and some of the ingredients are tricky to obtain but we now regularly shop in a local Asian supermarket where we find everything we need (and at a fraction of the price the supermarket charge).
Would recommend this book to anyone
on 25 June 2016
My husband loves Rick Stein and loves curry, so this was a great gift. Lots of interesting insights and information as well as some lovely pictures,and of course, great recipes too.Good idea to check what ingredients you need before starting to cook, as you may not have everything as part of your store cupboard essentials, but you should be able to find what you want in your local supermarket or deli. This could almost be a coffee table book.
on 4 August 2013
I bought this having watched the TV series, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The book is well printed with bright, stylish photography, and in terms of paper, layout, etc, is very much in the style of the early River Cottage/Paul Hollywood/etc books - seems to be in vogue at the moment. Nevertheless, this does not detract. I tried a few of the recipes which I downloaded from the BBC website first, which went very well, hence why I ultimately bought the book.

I am aware some people have complained about the ingredients being hard to find but every city has at least a few indian/asian stores where you can pick these items up very cheaply (in Glasgow, try Great Western Road or Woodlands Road): you need to learn to step out of your comfort zone and try somewhere other than Asda/Tesco/etc. The recipe instructions are easy to follow and the results have been very good so far.

My only complaint would be that, during the series Rick claims that most Indians eat mainly vegetarian food. I am a vegetarian (no meat, no fish) but this book is actually largely meat and fish recipes. I guess that this is to pander to the UK diet and, whilst I enjoyed reading about and looking at the other recipes, ultimately a large part of this book isn't much use to me.
on 30 March 2014
Let's be honest i'm bias because i adore authentic Indian food. After reading some of the negative views, of which there are few, i though i'd write a review having cooked some of the recipies. I started with Rocky's chicken Korma, after seeing how beautiful it looked on the programme. One reviewer said how she had made it and it was awful, i certainly never experienced this even if the recipe is tweaked from what we saw in Luknow. The only changes i made was to marinade my chicken for 4hrs in paste mix of garlic/ginger and 2 green chillies, just like Rocky did. The dish was beautiful if a bit complex because i used fresh coconut which took a while to prepare.
Some reviewers have stated the heat in some dishes is to strong. If you've cooked Indian food for a while you quickly learn to modrate the heat to suit your taste.After a while you build up a resitance adn can chance a bit more. I have also made Aloo Gobi and Rogan Josh, both were superb.This book is a must have if you're seroius about experiencing Indian cuisine. Get the dvd also as it helps give you a flavour of where to start.
on 5 August 2015
I cannot believe how good this book is. As I said to my husband yesterday....."Did you think the book would be so good"? He said....."I didn't think anyone could write a book this good" We LOVE curry, have eaten in many curry houses in London, Birmingham etc, been to India and really, though Ive only had the book a couple of weeks, I have cooked 5 dishes, and they all have been delicious, really authentic. Highly recommend for the price
on 13 November 2016
Having just moved to India, my girlfriend and were looking for a book that introduces you to the breadth of flavours across the subcontinent without too much fuss. Overly ambitious? Apparently not.

We both love leafing through the recipes, which are twinned with great photos and often share a core set of ingredients. I wouldn't have thought this last point was worth mentioning but after cooking a few recipes we now often find that we've got enough in the house so that we only need one or two fresh bits and pieces for another dish, which is definitely a bonus.

For anyone worrying about a lack of authenticty, it's very much made up for by a clear passion and solid research. While Im sure there are more intricate recipe books out there, as someone who likes cooking but hasnt really tackled the art of curry making, i think the book has a great balance of difficulty and flavour. I happily would, and hopefully will, try everything.