on 18 February 2018
I've had this since 2016 and have to say it is one of the very best cookbooks I own. As I imagine anyone reading this, I am a huge fan of Indian cuisine and this contains some absolutely beautiful recipes, gorgeous photography and a lovely narrative which ties in with the TV series. And it was this TV series which spurred me on to purchase this book and I'm delighted that I did so. I have cooked many recipes from this and each and everyone has been a show stopper and absolutely delicious. If you like Indian food and are after a book which explores more the authentic food of Indian rather than what you'll get at your bog-standard Indian restaurant then you really can't go wrong with this. A very pretty and well presented book which contains excellent recipes which will have your family and friends raving about what you just knocked up for dinner.
on 25 May 2016
I believe that in this book, as with his other books, Rick Stein does not set out to button down the authenticity but, rather, to provide interesting and achievable recipes - achievable in the sense that he uses ingredients which are readily available in the UK.
I have visited India dozens of times and have been to many of its towns and cities - from Kolkata in the northeast, to Chennai in the southeast, from Delhi in the northwest, to Trivandrum in the southwest and many points in between - after all that, the one thing I feel qualified to say is that, unlike many of the other reviewers here, I cannot define what authentic Indian food is, as there is such enormous variety from region to region and even within each region.
Additionally, I have only very rarely tried street food, with most of my eating being in restaurants in four and five star hotels or in top line restaurants
Against this background, I feel that Rick gives a good idea of what Indian food can be and that each recipe should be taken as a basis, subject to modification to individual preferences.
on 5 March 2016
A beautifully produced book, full of colour and inspiration. Maybe not for the purists out there as some of the recipes are not authentic; whatever that means. As Indian cuisine is the original fusion food that shouldn't matter. As even garam masala has no agreed composition, how can there be an agreed recipe for anything. In any event, the book is based on a TV program and doesn't claim to be a definitive work on classical Indian food. Some reviewers have carped that the recipes are too hot. This is a pretty pointless criticism as it all depends on the type of chilli you use. Stein even makes the point that the Kashmiri chillies he uses are relatively mild.
on 4 November 2016
Arrived on time and in perfect condition. I am a huge fan of Rick Stein! I have watched all of his BBC travel cooking programs and enjoy his style of cooking. It is simple, doesn't require fancy equipment or really fancy ingredients. There aren't a million steps to each recipe. I've made a few dishes from this book and I'm yet to be disappointed. There are photos to guide you as to what the final product should look like. He write clear instructions and it's not off putting as usually there are no more than 5 steps to each dish. There are some spices that I've had to go to Asian supermarkets for but nothing too unusual. Really recommend for anyone that enjoys delicious Indian food!
on 6 September 2017
Really nicely laid out with easy to understand instructions. Have enjoyed several of the recipes and unlike many other Indian cookbooks, this one they do actually turn out as they appear in the pictures and taste as intended. Great accompaniment to the DVD.
on 30 March 2014
Let's be honest i'm bias because i adore authentic Indian food. After reading some of the negative views, of which there are few, i though i'd write a review having cooked some of the recipies. I started with Rocky's chicken Korma, after seeing how beautiful it looked on the programme. One reviewer said how she had made it and it was awful, i certainly never experienced this even if the recipe is tweaked from what we saw in Luknow. The only changes i made was to marinade my chicken for 4hrs in paste mix of garlic/ginger and 2 green chillies, just like Rocky did. The dish was beautiful if a bit complex because i used fresh coconut which took a while to prepare.
Some reviewers have stated the heat in some dishes is to strong. If you've cooked Indian food for a while you quickly learn to modrate the heat to suit your taste.After a while you build up a resitance adn can chance a bit more. I have also made Aloo Gobi and Rogan Josh, both were superb.This book is a must have if you're seroius about experiencing Indian cuisine. Get the dvd also as it helps give you a flavour of where to start.
on 2 July 2014
There are many books on Asian cuisine and this one is up there with the best. I've successfully made several of his recipes and a whole lot I haven't. He recommends an asian supermarket (www.theasiancookshop.co.uk) in Braintree and, only living about an hour away, I made a visit. It has everything you could possibly require and the owners are lovely people and very helpful with great advice - you can also buy on-line. A tip - making a good, tasty curry requires practice. If using whole spices these need to be ground quickly to a fine powder using an appropriate coffee/spice grinder. They will be used in the masala and need to be cooked properly so as not to impart a spice rawness to the curry - plenty of visual tips on Youtube. Also, if you are lucky enough to live near an Asian supermarket selling fresh curry leaves, then I am very envious. Happy curry cooking.
on 22 November 2014
I bought this book as a present for my husband and I don't think we have ever used a recipe book more. Haven't had an issue with any recipe and have loved every thing made so far. Prior to buying this book we used to get Indian takeaway about 1-2times per month; since buying we have bought it once! My Mum was so impressed with the butter chicken that she has also bought the book and also loves it. Some of the recipes do require a bit of prep and some of the ingredients are tricky to obtain but we now regularly shop in a local Asian supermarket where we find everything we need (and at a fraction of the price the supermarket charge).
Would recommend this book to anyone
on 26 March 2014
Ok, so it only arrived today and I am only halfway through reading it and going through the recipes, but WOW, I am so excited and haven't even tried anything in it yet ! It really is packed with a vast array of gorgeous -sounding dishes which I cannot wait to try. A huge selection for vegetarians and also a great fish section. I don't eat meat but reckon those recipes could be adapted. LOADS of beautiful pictures to accompany the recipes, which really brings the food alive in your mind while also making you want to jump on a plane and go to India for a while, like Rick. I have had various Indian cook books over the years but this one is by far the best and had me going through all my spices to see what needs chucking/replacing within half hour of leafing through it !
on 25 June 2016
My husband loves Rick Stein and loves curry, so this was a great gift. Lots of interesting insights and information as well as some lovely pictures,and of course, great recipes too.Good idea to check what ingredients you need before starting to cook, as you may not have everything as part of your store cupboard essentials, but you should be able to find what you want in your local supermarket or deli. This could almost be a coffee table book.