Customer reviews

Top Contributor: Doctor WhoTOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 December 2015
The story The Ice Warriors was first broadcast on tv in the fifth season of Doctor Who in November 1967, and now remains one of the partly missing serials. The story was written by Brian Hayles, and was novelised by him as one of the Target range of novels in 1976. It’s a great book to read, and covers the six-part story very well in 140 pages. Interestingly, the book concentrates heavily on the first three episodes (covered in 100 pages), while the remaining three episodes, which really have a lot of action and cover a lot of ground in them, are covered in the remaining 40 pages of the book. So the story builds up relatively slowly, and then really races along towards the resolution.

The story features the Second Doctor, travelling with Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Wakefield, but it begins in a scientific establishment, where we find people apparently trying to hold back an advance of glaciers. Elsewhere, a team from the Base are out in the terrible weather conditions, and make an unusual discovery in the ice. And outside the Base, a large blue box materialises, and out of it steps the Doctor and his friends. They soon find themselves in a race against time and the weather, and against foes who are definitely not from this world. This is the first story to introduce the famous Ice Warriors from Mars, who the Second Doctor is destined to meet again in a later story in 1969, The Seeds of Death.

The novelisation has been released in an audio format, as a reading of the novel by Frazer Hines, who played Jamie McCrimmon in the Second Doctor’s incarnation. Frazer Hines does a great job at the reading, and narrates the story and performs the other parts. He is, of course, a great hand at impersonating Patrick Troughton’s Second Doctor, and does a very engaging turn as Victoria, and plays the other parts in the story well when they are required to have dialogue. The only slight quibble I have with the audio reading by Hines is that he speaks quite fast, and sometimes the words are slightly run together in his sentences. The audio reading of the novelisation was released in 2010, and runs to approximately 4 hours, on 4 cds.

This is a great story, and it’s great to have it available in novel and audio formats, while we wait to see if the remaining episodes are ever rediscovered; a bit like the Ice Warriors, they may turn up again some day.
One person found this helpful
on 20 March 2013
For someone brought up in the 70s and 80s, on a staple diet of Tom Baker and Peter Davison as Dr Who, novelisations were they DVDs and of the day.
Back then there was little chance of me ever seeing Hartnell and Troughton episodes, the same was also true for many of the Pertwee shows; so Target were the only chance many of us ever got to explore the show and revisit old enemies.
The Ice Warriors were always a personal favourite and this little gem was one of the most enjoyable target editions of my youth. If you love Dr Who, do yourself a favour and invest in a copy, you won't regret it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 August 2013
Some of the original 1970s Doctor Who Target novelisations have now been published as e-books, so I am re-reading this one in light of the release of the DVD this weekend. This is not one of my particular favourites, but rattles along quite well, with some extra back story being given for a few of the minor characters. There are a number of quite well drawn human characters, while the Ice Warriors come across as quite a forbidding threat here, rather than as the reptilian soldiers the rank and filers sometimes resembled in later stories.
on 24 April 2013
Oh if only amazon/the internet were around when I was collecting Dr Who books in my youth... I suppose it would have taken away the fun of the hunt around various dusty second hand bookshops.

I've recently bought some of these Doctor Who books for my young nephew in an attempt to brainwash him into my Whovian ways.
these reprintings are quite full on in a way, you obviously get the original text and cover art (with a small picture of that story's doctor on the spine) but it now comes with analysis and a foreword which seems quite odd for novelisations of an old sci-fi tv show but no complaints here.

I chose 2 books to start my nephew on and the ice warriors was always going to be one of them; it's a brilliant story with one of my favourite villains and a classic doctor/companion combo.
on 19 February 2015
like patrick troughton immensely
on 3 August 2013
Classic who, great story being able to imagine the characters as the story went on was a major plus, couldnt put it down
on 2 October 2015
A great present for my grandsons.
on 18 February 2013
Good book I never saw
the episode but would like to its exciting and interesting

Five star
Bye bye bye
on 29 March 2010
Although looking forward to this release - being a fan of the 60s monster era - I came away feeling frustrated and in fact I have yet to complete it

The biggest issue seems to be that the BBC now prefer to get the books onto 4 discs and the first disc in particular is just too frenetic to enjoy. Whereas Malcolm Hulke's text is one to be savoured the reader - Fraser Hines - gabbles through the first episode of the story at break neck speed. Although relaxed and ready to enjoy the tale I found my mind wandering off as the reading did not engage me. I was very disappointed with this as it was a great pity that the full space on a disc (75 minutes or thereabouts) was not utilised.

By disc two the speed reduces but by that time I had lost interest. What a pity!
2 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2012
The Doctor arrives on Earth in a future beset by a new ice-age. Scientists struggle to find a way to hold back the inexorable advance of the glaciers. Meanwhile a strange humanoid figure is discovered trapped and perhaps preserved in the ice.
I guess I was around ten when I first read this in the 1970s. I'd been far too young to catch The Ice Warriors when first broadcast in 1967. And I'd have to wait another 25 years or so to finally get my hands on the specially reconstructed edition on VHS to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Doctor Who. I hold The Ice Warriors in very high esteem, ranking it in the higher echelons of Patrick Troughton stories; it's hugely atmospheric, surprisingly arctic for the budget, well cast, funny, dramatic and a good script. The book is all those things, with a no limits effects budget and if it differs in small ways from the original production it's mainly due to what the actors brought to the characters themselves, most notably the humour and goofing of the Tardis crew in the first episode. Britannicus Base is realised better on the page. Finally that image of a full on country house, complete with lawns and terraces sheltered by an environment dome is achieved. I'd like to proclaim that this book introduced one of the great Who 'monster' races to me but I'd actually already encountered the Ice Warriors on tv via their Peladon appearances (also penned by Bryan Hayles). The book did spark a bit of interest in what glaciers were to my young mind. Previously glaciers were the bit of the dinosaur encyclopaedia that I'd been a bit dismissive of. Arden's very funny line,"Oh, not another Mastodon," wasn't in the book or I'd have certainly sympathised. I was disappointed to learn that glaciers weren't quite as sprightly as the Doctor Who variety. There are a lot of conflicts of opposites going on throughout, transforming the now familiar base under siege Troughton plot into a crackingly fascinating story; science against nature, the clash of personality between Leader Clent and temperamental scientist Penley, not to mention the mammalian v reptilian stand-off between the Humans and the Martians. Even through my rosy nostalgia haze I have to admit that at times the pseudo science jargon is sometimes a bit much and too much time is spent rationalising the science. Though in its defence it does make the science guff exceedingly convincing guff. But that's an impression that I have reading it at age 45. At age ten the main thought that was in my mind was finding more Target novelisations.
Original artwork , features on script to novel, Brian Hayles and a new introduction by Mark Gatiss.
7 people found this helpful