Customer reviews

on 15 June 2017
Very happy with my order. I didn't realise that I had ordered the US edition it was a nice surprise.
on 15 July 2013
Bought this for my 10 year old daughter as I remember reading this when I was a kid. Considering this is a 1983 reprint it in remarkable condition and promptly delivered. A true classic story based on one if the true classic doctors. A must read and purchase.
on 8 November 2012
Recommended reading for any Doctor fan. You can hear Tom Bakers voice whilst reading the text. Classic short story discovery well worth a five star rating.
on 8 June 2015
love nything doctor who
on 24 August 2013
Hi
Nice to look back on the early days of The Doctor in his Tom Baker incarnation. Good fun and scary
on 16 November 2013
I am a really big fan of Doctor Who and the books always make me smile, I think I am going to read more Doctor Who books.
on 15 June 2012
I bought all the 'Target' Doctor Who novelizations when I was a kid. This was before the VCR so the only way to re-live Doctor Who was to read it in novel form. I can honestly say that it was the desire to read these stories that was my prime motivation to learn to read when I was in junior school.

I'm so glad these literary treasures are being released on the Kindle. I've bought all of them so far and will probably buy all the subsequent releases. My young son loves to have them read to him for his bedtime stories.

This 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) story takes place at Loch Ness where we learn the secret of the Loch Ness monster.
on 10 May 2012
Off the shores of Scotland something is methodically destroying oil rigs and killing all on board. UNIT calls in the one man who can get to the bottom of the mystery... The Doctor.
Wouldn't it be great if you could feed tv shows into a machine and out pop novelisations with crisp no-nonsense prose? Target had such a machine. It was called Terrance Dicks. The Target books were the DVDs of the 70s but using the most powerful special effects suite on the planet... children's imagination. Unlike a lot of Mr Dicks early output this one would have to be the vanilla release with little or no extras - he basically transcribes the tv story onto the page. The only really noticeable change is he makes the Prime Minister a bloke. In the tv story the Brigadier refers to a 'madam' on the other end of the line whereas here Dicks switches it to 'sir'. I suppose after serving up a story featuring a bunch of shapeshifting evil-baby terror-ists trying to take over the world armed only with a pet Nessy and a weakness for blowing their own trumpet, a female Prime Minister was just a bit too far fetched.
It's all great fun. Aged ten reading this I couldn't be happier. I already had plans to visit Loch Ness with my best mate and discover the beastie for ourselves, so this was the next best thing and much closer to my weekly pocket money budget.
Original artwork, features on script to novel, Terrance Dicks, Robert Banks Stewart and a new introduction by Michael Moorcock.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2013
This story was the first of two classics scripted by Robert Banks Stewart during Tom Baker's second year (the other being `The Seeds of Doom'). Terrance Dicks' novelisation successfully captures the feeling and excitement of the original.

The original version of this was, of course, titled `Terror of the Zygons'. Personally I much prefer this title. `Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster' sounds a little crass and tacky. It also spoils some of the suspense and the latter stages of the story. `Terror of the Zygons' is a good title with some mystery to it. Who knows why Target decided to publish the story under this name? It's republications during the eighties were back under the original title.

This adventure was most famous for introducing the eponymous Zygons who subsequently became immensely popular (so much so that they finally returned for the fiftieth anniversary episode, `The Day of the Doctor'). Dicks re-creates them and their sense of menace perfectly in prose form. His Skaresen feels substantially more realistic and thus more menacing without the constraints of filming and special effects.

The action is well proportioned between the three primary protagonists. The Doctor, Harry and Sarah all get to pursue their own investigations relevant to their talents. This works exceptionally well in novel form.

This is a strong novelisation that captures the magic of the televised programme.
on 7 August 2013
I remember reading the old Target books from the library when I was in primary school (which was a long time ago). And I used to love them. These were the days before VCR's were really in the home so the only way to get a fix of Dr Who was to read. Now with this re-released set I finally got a chance to read them again.

Dr Who and the Loch Ness Monster is basically Terror of the Zygons and is every bit as brilliant as I remember it. The story is compact and doesn't really last long (took me just a day to read it). But it is enjoyable, and it's a joy visualizing Tom Baker as the Doctor, with his Teeth, Hair and Scarf.

Recommended.