TOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 December 2015
All the "My Kitchen Table" recipe books are worth their money - they're all easy to follow, step by step recipes, one on each page, with a full colour photo of the finished dish, but I was a little wary of "Recipes for Entertaining" by Raymond Blanc at first, because I envisaged elaborate recipes involving a lot of expertise, expensive ingredients and loads of kitchen paraphernalia.

I have too many ghastly memories of 'entertaining' with curdled sauces, main course slowly cremating while the starter was nowhere near ready. The guests may have found this vastly entertaining. I didn't. I used to become mortified. Like the dinner.

But happily, I was wrong about this book on all counts. Most of these recipes are simplicity itself, with the same modus operandi of all the "My Kitchen Table" books. Many of these dishes can be made in advance and 'finished off' before serving without much fuss - this applies to all the sections in this book which comprises a comprehensive list of Starters, Mains and Puds.

Quite a few are 'one pot' dishes done in the oven. French inspired, rustic. Proper food, just how it should be.
Raymond shows you how.
This book lives on my windowsill now, along with Mary Berry who's taught me how bake cakes, and Daniel Stevens (River Cottage Handbook No 3) who's shown me how to bake really good bread.

The title says "Recipes for Entertaining" but the dishes in this recipe book are just as good for family meals as they are delicious for when you do have people come round to share your food.

Raymond Blanc is one of my heroes for giving up 100 of his recipes in this paperback format book, and for getting me away from that mindset that 'entertaining' was hell.
'Sharing food' that you've cooked doesn't have to be like the final of Masterchef.
on 18 July 2017
Delivered ontime, book was a gift so I'm assuming all is good.
on 19 August 2017
good easy recipes
on 27 July 2017
Top quality My wife who is an excellent cook has found a nice aid
on 8 June 2017
Excellent well worth the money Have tried two recipes already. Hoping to entertain and do one this week-end.
on 19 September 2015
Great
on 11 May 2012
Sadly, disappointed with this book and guess it offers great value for the price but was not prepared for the small size and the overlap with the other books I have. I bought it for a friend as a pressie but it has gone in my cupboard as it was unsuitable to give as not special enough. Also the recipes are not as fun and exciting as in his other books.

My favourite all time book is his Blanc Vite... my bible for quick and scrummy food. Instead, I would recommend buying this second hand as it's expensive new. Just emailed friends with the clam and mussel recipe which is a 5 minute wonder!! However, there is no better chef in my eyes so please Raymond if you are reading... keep coming out with those books and TV programmes and if you are looking for someone to sample before you print... yes I would gladly offer to help!!
on 1 February 2012
Having watched M. Blanc cooking simple, and not so simple, recipes on TV, I thought this book might be interesting.
When I looked through it, it was.
Plenty of simple, effective, and not over extravagant recipes.
Well worth the purchase.My Kitchen Table: 100 Recipes for Entertaining
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2016
Tiny book minuscule print had to return
on 9 October 2013
First of all, this book is very cheaply published, so that when you open the book and thumb through the recipes, the pages fall out. At first I thought I was being too vigorous with it, but no, they simply fall out. Very bad binding.
Secondly, I would never serve some of these recipes to guests, and thirdly, many of the recipes have hard to find ingredients and are enormously labor-intensive and time consuming.