Customer reviews

Complete Chinese Cookbook
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 June 2016
Another fab book by Ken Hom. A few reviews mention portion size. Worth noting that in the extensive section covering ingredients, cooking techniques and menu planning it does say recipes assume you will cook 2 meat/fish dishes, as well as veg & rice, and most likely a soup. Anyway, lots of lovely recipes to try in here.
on 18 January 2016
We love Chinese food and the recipes are easy. There are some very cheap cuts that he turns into mouthwatering dishes. Find a friendly Chinese supermarket nearby and they will add to the advice. Well worth having on bookshelf.
on 7 March 2016
Recipes ok, if a bit uninspiring. Mainly disappointed by lack of pictures, which I really need to get a feel for whether I want to try a recipe. Daft I know.
on 12 September 2016
Looks a nice book but it was a gift and haven't had any feedback from the recipient.
on 23 July 2016
Oh what a pleasure to find a good, well structured book!
on 25 June 2017
Easy to follow
on 28 August 2016
Great book. Would recommend this seller.
on 8 February 2014
It is very well explained and lovely food, you don't have to be Chinese to cook Chinese.
Oo oo ll
on 10 August 2014
I wish I'd bought this years ago. Received the book just over a week ago and have already cooked 4 different meals from this book - I can honestly say I've surprised myself with how good the food I've cooked tastes! I'd seen that Gok's book was currently the best seller in Chinese cookbooks and really considered getting that instead (I've resorted to recording his show to get his versions of Ken's recipes instead). Decided to go for Ken in the end as you get over 200 recipes in his book compared to 70 odd from Gok and just wanted the variety to start of with really. A week in and I'm so happy I went with this choice. The book has already opened my eyes as to just how easy, healthy and tasty traditional Chinese food is. My boyfriend actually commented that he prefers this food to high street Chinese takeaways. Having said that there are some of the takeaway favourites included in this book such as chow mein, Singapore noodles, sichuan duck and the best recipe for egg fried rice I've ever experienced.

I know some other reviewers have commented that Ken occasionally throws instructions into his recipes that are not then fully broken down. This has only occurred once to me and a simple search on google told me how to prepare the food - not rocket science really. Also there's a comprehensive section at the beginning of the book that explains a lot more about the history of Chinese food, ingredients and cooking methods if people bother to read that - definitely recommend it.

The only change I would wish is that every recipe came with a picture (over half do but by no means all). This is more just because I like perusing through the book when planning for meals and would appreciate more pictures but that's hardly a quibble when the food tastes so good regardless of pictures. Would definitely recommend this book for anyone that wants to begin a venture into Chinese cooking at home :)
on 17 January 2017