Customer reviews

Life on Air
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 November 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It may sound daunting but this 16-CD set is, once you get into the swing of things, an addictive listen.

Almost uniquely Attenborough has remained passionate in his interests but professional in his manner his whole life.

His role has always been to tease out and explain the true majesty, ingenuity and also the occasional comedy that the length and breadth of our planet's wildlife contains.

The gorillas episode is the most memorable example, but there are plenty more given of where in the quest to understand nature he's become almost uncomfortably close, btu that's not stopped him from continuing to travel and film right up to the present day.

His love of nature and the wild are undimmed, but in terms of his attitude to humankind, despite witnessing so much of its destructiveness towards other species and habitats, he's not become bitter, and the warmth and humanity of his personality really shines through here.

The packaging is simple, just a compact plastic case and the discs themselves, but nothing extra is needed - we all know who he is and what he's done, it's all in the telling here, and he tells it beautifully.
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Of course I know David Attenborough, but I don't know much about him and generally don't make a point of watching his wildlife programs, unless they just happen to be on.

I am almost to the end of this 16 CD set and have enjoyed it immensely so far. It takes you through David's early days before he joined the BBC, through his early `quests' to film new and never before seen wildlife, into his career as high level management within the BBC and towards the present.

The stories are read by David himself and whilst there are funny moments, they are not intentionally comedic, just real life situations that happen to be. I found the CD content a cross between a classic wildlife program and `Wish You Were Here' but read on the radio.

It is clear that David has lead a wonderful and interesting life and this comes across well from the CD's. To see what he has seen, met all those people and been to all those places... incredible.

The content of the CD's has encouraged me to watch David's programmes more in the future. Overall a great CD set and well worth a listen.
on 2 December 2009
This book had me hooked from the beginning. It had me in complete stitches in parts, and it was made all the better as i could hear his voice in my head i was reading it. Really really interesting, and not full of dross and gossip like you get in so many other books. I will be reading this over and over for sure.
on 28 December 2011
I ordered this on 6th December as a Christmas present for my father. Estimated delivery 13th Dec. Loaded on the van at St Neots (Cambs) at 11 am on 11th Dec. a distance of 13-15 miles to me. Eventually arrived here late evening on 23rd Dec.
In the meantime Amazon had re-sent another to me which arrived on 24th Dec. and was returned to Amazon.
I suppose, that when you take into account the volume of parcels shipped out by Amazon there will always be the odd errant parcel so I was probably just unlucky.

However, the book itself is an astonishing look at David Attenborough and his life in the media. If Jimmy Saville was still alive, I would want "Jim'll fix it" to fix it for my father (and me !) to meet this giant of the natural/broadcasting world. Worth EVERY moment of waiting. Highly recommended.
on 13 January 2010
I sometimes have problems reading biographies/autobiographies as I get bored half way through once the book goes off the bits that I am interested in, especially if it is a long book. This did not happen with Life on Air.

In David Attenborough's usual style this book is well written, intelligent and really interesting. It tells his life from when he came to work for the BBC all the way through to presenting the programmes that we know and love him for. Although it is a long book it is immediately accessible and so varied that it holds your interest all the way through.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Attenborough and his programmes, anyone interested in natural history or anyone interested in travel.

A fabulous read! I will be buying David's other books.
on 13 July 2017
Don't be put off by the tech beginning. It gets going
on 19 April 2014
This book is even that you'd expect it to be, after all it would be highly unlikely David Attenborough would write a poor autobiography. Interesting, honest and very well written it was hard to put down. Would highly recommend.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
David Attenborough needs no introduction; he has narrated natural history programs for what seems like forever and a day. Life On Air is his autobiography, and this audio CD box set contains 16 CD's which tells his story of how he first started in broadcasting through to effectively present day.

This is great for lazy Sunday afternoon listening, Attenborough's easy style is required listening and it makes a change to hear him talking about something other than plants and animals!

A shame that the accompanying CD sleeve does not provide more comprehensive information, however, if you wanted a detailed read, I guess you can always buy the book.
on 17 November 2014
Worth every penny!
They were the most enjoyable 20 hours of journeys I ever had.
I was facinated by Sir David's passion as a naturalist.
I eventually bought the book as well!
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I absolutely loved this. Attenborough brings so much passion to everything he does.
This is his life in broadcasting from when he first joined the BBC through to present day. He covers in depth all his early broadcasts such as Zoo Quest through to the very latest shows such as Life On Earth and Living Planet.
He recounts stories of the animals and places he has seen, with lots of humour and touches on his family life, especially the sadness when his wife died around 10 years ago.
16 CD's and over 20 hours, an absolutely marvelous recollection of his life.