Customer reviews

Life on Air
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 August 2014
One of my first memories of early television is of David Attenborough's knees, in black and white in those days. This collection of his memoirs is a real treasure, with the added bonus of being read by that immediately recognisable voice. It's full of self-deprecating humour and interesting facts, and the story of early radio and television is as fascinating as his animal-viewing trips. I had the CDs in my car and found my journeys getting ever longer so that I could listen to just one more anecdote.
on 1 April 2017
Autobiographies come and go but 'Life on Air' by Sir David Attenborough, the greatest communicator the world has known is without doubt a must read. I buy this book as gifts for people that are passionate about the natural world and it never fails to raise a laugh and impress.
One person found this helpful
on 28 December 2011
I ordered this on 6th December as a Christmas present for my father. Estimated delivery 13th Dec. Loaded on the van at St Neots (Cambs) at 11 am on 11th Dec. a distance of 13-15 miles to me. Eventually arrived here late evening on 23rd Dec.
In the meantime Amazon had re-sent another to me which arrived on 24th Dec. and was returned to Amazon.
I suppose, that when you take into account the volume of parcels shipped out by Amazon there will always be the odd errant parcel so I was probably just unlucky.

However, the book itself is an astonishing look at David Attenborough and his life in the media. If Jimmy Saville was still alive, I would want "Jim'll fix it" to fix it for my father (and me !) to meet this giant of the natural/broadcasting world. Worth EVERY moment of waiting. Highly recommended.
on 9 May 2018
David Attenborough is truly a legend, I watch anything on TV that he is involved with. While I am enjoying this audio book, sadly it isn't as gripping as what he does on TV. I will persevere but its a little long and leborious.
on 25 September 2015
I have started reading this book and it is a joy to read. It's like Sir David is talking to you himself. There is plenty of action on his exploits looking for creatures around the world as well as the background to his television career that started it all.
on 5 September 2014
Excellent book with so much background to his many TV series and time at the BBC. The anecdotes about his various travels, particularly Zoo Quest, are so enlightening. I love travel books anyway so this is perfect. Having had the privilege of meeting him a few times I can say his writing style is exactly like his personality: often funny, interested, charming and unpretentious. I was introduced to the book from starting to read a friend's hardback copy. The hardback edition has several sections of illustrations, many in colour, but unfortunately the soft back edition only has two sections and none in colour. A deficiency not sufficient to mark it down to 4 stars though. There is a good index.
One person found this helpful
on 14 November 2017
Love it, the amazing adventures, the brilliant use of words and that voice. What's not to like??
on 30 December 2017
I just adore him and all he does. What a man. THANK YOU for all your work and dedication to our planet.
on 7 December 2017
Content I'm sure is fine. The font size must only be 6- crazily small- magnifying glass needed.
on 11 May 2018
Have yet to read it, but lovely quality book.