on 4 December 2012
THe sales hype for this book gives the impression that the reader will be getting the "inside story" from Jake but in reality it is just a "guide to F1". OK if that is what you want and you are a relative newcomer to following the sport. But I used to work in F1 so know all about it. What I hoped for from this book was a bit of modern day gossip, behind the scenes information and an idea of the tales, experiences and logistics of F1's modern day TV media personnel, and this is what I believe was implied by the books intor and title. I found myself skipping page after page as it was just telling me what I already knew about the sport and business of F1, there is nothing new and no revelations/very few anecodotes and examples from Jake about his own experiences/funny stories, gossip, etc. Just another "beginners guide to Formula One" - of which there are very many already.
9 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2013
First time I've ever written a review for a book on here.

It's an ok book. It tells you what Jake has been through with F1 and some of the stories that he's seen. However - and this is the big thing. If you are a true F1 fan (i.e. watch 70%+ of the races, know the history) then just save the money.

There is the occasional story which is funny or interesting - but most of the book is about what the last 4-5 years of races have contained. If you have watched the TV then you will have seen it and it's old news.

It's written in a very easy and nice manner - but for a F1 fan wanting the "inside track" I had hoped that perhaps we would get some nice gossip - behind the scenes stuff and those little snippets that you never here about. Instead I just got 5 years of F1 history. My guess is that this has been aimed at the occasional F1 follower who watches 2-3 races and does not know the history.

I feel sad about it. Jake is a wonderful presenter and is going to be missed a great deal from the BBC. I guess that he could not and did not want to upset the establishment, but I think it's been mis-marketed and a little bit mis-sold.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2012
Without a doubt the title is slightly misleading. When writing about the presenting and journalism side of F1 the book is very interesting but when Jake starts explaining the technical side of F1 I lost interest. It's a bit like David Coulthard writing a book about TV presenting! I did finish and enjoy it and it was well written so 3 stars.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 November 2017
Interesting and adds background to the pit lane and braodcasting crews.
on 13 August 2014
Absolute garbage book! Jake Humphrey should be ashamed of himself so trying to pass this off as a book. He gives no insight into F1 that we don't already know. He simply runs through what F1 is and a it's history. I was expecting to read about things we don't hear about regarding drivers and teams. I could have written a better book on F1!
on 21 August 2017
Excellent service and good book
on 31 May 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, which was more or less as expected. Enjoyed the content and relived a few of the moments described. A likeable and talented chap who obviously enjoyed his opportunity.
on 27 May 2013
Very liight read, bought it for my holidays and read it in just over a day. Some interesting items but could have given a lot more in view of Jake's knowledge in the paddock thought it could have given a bit more of the insider information so to speak. Interesting in respect of the speed of change and development in respect of formula 1 and attention to detail by drivers and team.
on 5 February 2013
Bought this for my wife - a huge F1 fan. It's ok but where are the photos to bring the story to life? Has the look and feel of something quickly cobbled together from notes in insufficient time, which is a pity given he's a good journalist and it deserves to be something much, much better.
on 3 September 2016
Gift rated by recipient only