The Lost Years
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2018
I have read every single book of this author and to be perfectly honest I am not sure why! This is because they are so formulaic - if you have read one you have read them all. The heroines are all usually successful professionals aged between 28-34, chaste, beautiful, carefully dressed, wearing very little makeup. She is usually being ‘courted’ by 2 suitors - one of whom will turn out to be the killer. There is nearly always a religious undertone which is highly in evidence in this novel. Mary’s strong Roman Catholic faith is very pronounced throughout which leads to a lot of repetition. Having said all of this, there is something very safe and satisfying about these novels. They move along at a rollicking pace and you know the killer will be unmasked at the end and the heroine will fall into the arms of the ‘good’ suitor, having already spurned the advances of the ‘baddie’. Mary will have a long list of acknowledgements and thanks including to her ‘spouse extraordinaire’ John - and all will be alright with the world. Roll on the next one!
on 8 November 2014
I bought this as it was on offer....and Mary Higgins Clark has never let me down before. Even though Amazon had no real synopsis listed which made me wonder. When she mentions in her acknowledgements that her editor had suggested a biblical background to a book my first thought was "oh noooooooo, I hope it isn't" but it sadly was getting that way and I lost interest and packed it in at 26% when we were being told all about Pontius Pilate. To say I lost all interest and would never have picked this up if I'd known it had this element totally underestimates what I think about it !!
I wasn't liking the peculiar way it was written, either. Not in the first person, not in the third but sort of the third describing the first's thoughts ? Make sense ? No, it doesn't, and it's irritating. I've not seen it before and no wonder many reviewers and regular readers of her books aren't liking it. It's not her winning style and to my way of thinking if it wasn't broke.....
Then this sentence was strange-"But if Dad did have it and if Dad intended to return it...".....didn't need Dad mentioned twice. Then hut was used in place of but and it just wasn't good at all.
on 12 September 2014
I usually enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, this one was dreadful. I actually find it very hard to believe that she wrote it. The plot was boring, the dialect so slow & incredibly repetitive, the characters undeveloped & to be honest I really didn't care if the whole lot of them dropped dead. I would not recommend this book to anyone & would be amazed if Mary Higgins Clark even owned up to putting pen to paper should this book be mentioned in her presence. Don't bother, but do try her other books.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2014
As with her other books there is an awful lot of telling and explaining and not enough showing, suggesting and hinting. The initial idea is good, the plot well thought out and the characters believable if a little undeveloped in places but the execution lacks the craft of a skilled writer. Overall worth a read on holiday but not one you'd mention in your postcards home.
One person found this helpful
on 6 November 2013
I have now read three of Mary Higgins Clarks' books, trying to give her a fair evaluation. This was my third selection from the mix and I must admit that not only are the characters 2-dimensional, but based on her formula, I'd figured out who the murderer was as soon as the character made his/her entrance. I would much prefer some depth to the characters and a great, surprising twist at the end of the book or a more solid story development rather than her use of what seems to be a very established template for writing her books. Sorry, Mary, but you won't be getting any more royalties from me.
on 4 November 2014
Always enjoy Mary Higgins Clark and this was up to her usual standard.If your a fan of her writing this wont disappoint.Plenty of twists and turns to keep you fixed .l read this book well into the night so make sure you dont have to go to work the next day and give your partner a lovely meal for tea the next day as your light will be on all night.
on 6 September 2014
I was introduced to this author whitst on holiday in Spain and then read several of her books.It is a long time since I have read any and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.Once I started it I was unable to stop.Lots of twists and turns and some very beleivable chacters.Not quite the result that I expected.An excellent summer read.M.Clarke.
on 5 February 2015
A good read as always, when I finish a book I feel as though I need to start another right away, I knew who the murderer was three quarters of the way through the book, but that didn't stop my enjoyment of it. A great holiday read, and will be re reading others I read many years ago. Because I now have them on kindle.
on 31 August 2014
i love Mary Higgins Clark! and this book was just my cup of tea! this is the first time i have one of her great books on kindle! so i will be keeping my eye open for more of her newest books on kindle as i have read lots (and most of) her older books,brilliant author! regards,Elizabeth xx
on 20 August 2014
I enjoyed this book, have read books by this author before but some time ago. It was an interesting story, Averaih played detective and solved the murder before the police witch was a bit unbelievable. But it was a good story