Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 February 2013
Mary Higgins Clark was a long time favourite author of mine and I always look out for her new books. But much as I hate to say it, I don't think her more recent ones are as good as the old ones.
In this latest release, a young woman, Mariah, is mourning the murder of her well respected academic father Jonathan. He had recently discovered an ancient parchment believed to be a priceless artifact stolen from the Vatican centuries ago. Was his murder connected? Horrified that her mother, an Alzheimer's sufferer, is the chief suspect, Mariah is determined to find the truth, but she is risking her life as she tries to discover the killer's identity.
If you like clean living, genteel crime books then this is ideal: there is nothing inappropriate (other than the odd murder), no bad language etc.
Whilst this is still a good read which kept me turning the pages, it is so very similar to the majority of Mary's books: wealthy, attractive, usually single heroine, searching for the killer of a member of her family or a friend, a number of similar male suspects who are usually well bred, charming and successful businessmen, and a hint of romance. It has proved to be a winning formula in the past but I do feel that the books are all getting a bit samey, and whilst this is still an interesting easy read, it's not in the same league as her early novels. The formula seems to be getting a little tired. I guessed the killer part way through and hoped there would be a twist that proved me wrong, sadly not this time.
on 18 April 2012
for the next one!! The highlight of the year for me is April when Mary brings out her new book. This is another great one and is like some of her earlier stories. If you enjoyed "Night-Time Is My Time" then you will certainly enjoy this. Have listened to the Audio Book and am now looking forward to reading it on my Kindle when it is released next month.
on 9 February 2013
but some of her other reads had not been too bad so I took a chance. The story line was good but the book could have been better and more exciting. Reading this made me feel I was reading something from years ago. Not a very exciting read and very predictable with no excitement and you could easily put it down at any time. The front page says she is 'The wrld's best loved thriller writer'-says who? I don't wish to be rude or unkind but she is hardly in the Michael Connelly range. Sorry, but would not recommend this to any avid crime reader.
on 19 August 2014
As with her other books there is an awful lot of telling and explaining and not enough showing, suggesting and hinting. The initial idea is good, the plot well thought out and the characters believable if a little undeveloped in places but the execution lacks the craft of a skilled writer. Overall worth a read on holiday but not one you'd mention in your postcards home.
on 8 November 2014
I bought this as it was on offer....and Mary Higgins Clark has never let me down before. Even though Amazon had no real synopsis listed which made me wonder. When she mentions in her acknowledgements that her editor had suggested a biblical background to a book my first thought was "oh noooooooo, I hope it isn't" but it sadly was getting that way and I lost interest and packed it in at 26% when we were being told all about Pontius Pilate. To say I lost all interest and would never have picked this up if I'd known it had this element totally underestimates what I think about it !!
I wasn't liking the peculiar way it was written, either. Not in the first person, not in the third but sort of the third describing the first's thoughts ? Make sense ? No, it doesn't, and it's irritating. I've not seen it before and no wonder many reviewers and regular readers of her books aren't liking it. It's not her winning style and to my way of thinking if it wasn't broke.....
Then this sentence was strange-"But if Dad did have it and if Dad intended to return it...".....didn't need Dad mentioned twice. Then hut was used in place of but and it just wasn't good at all.
on 12 September 2014
I usually enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, this one was dreadful. I actually find it very hard to believe that she wrote it. The plot was boring, the dialect so slow & incredibly repetitive, the characters undeveloped & to be honest I really didn't care if the whole lot of them dropped dead. I would not recommend this book to anyone & would be amazed if Mary Higgins Clark even owned up to putting pen to paper should this book be mentioned in her presence. Don't bother, but do try her other books.
on 4 November 2014
Always enjoy Mary Higgins Clark and this was up to her usual standard.If your a fan of her writing this wont disappoint.Plenty of twists and turns to keep you fixed .l read this book well into the night so make sure you dont have to go to work the next day and give your partner a lovely meal for tea the next day as your light will be on all night.
on 6 October 2012
Always been a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark and this book doesn't disappoint.I found it to be a page turner from start to finish and didn't want to put it down.Look forward to more.
on 6 September 2014
I was introduced to this author whitst on holiday in Spain and then read several of her books.It is a long time since I have read any and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.Once I started it I was unable to stop.Lots of twists and turns and some very beleivable chacters.Not quite the result that I expected.An excellent summer read.M.Clarke.
on 5 February 2015
A good read as always, when I finish a book I feel as though I need to start another right away, I knew who the murderer was three quarters of the way through the book, but that didn't stop my enjoyment of it. A great holiday read, and will be re reading others I read many years ago. Because I now have them on kindle.