Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2014
I usually enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, this one was dreadful. I actually find it very hard to believe that she wrote it. The plot was boring, the dialect so slow & incredibly repetitive, the characters undeveloped & to be honest I really didn't care if the whole lot of them dropped dead. I would not recommend this book to anyone & would be amazed if Mary Higgins Clark even owned up to putting pen to paper should this book be mentioned in her presence. Don't bother, but do try her other books.
on 14 September 2014
Awful. First novel I've read from this author and it will be the last. The writing was stilted and awkward, and the story was instantly forgettable. Give this a miss!
on 10 September 2014
An enjoyable read and I recommend it as the reader wonders how the book is going to end as there are many twists and turns.
on 2 September 2014
I was very disappointed with this, finding the characterization sketchy, the plot obvious and the dialogue laughable. Not for me.
on 17 July 2012
Mary Higgins Clark never disappoints. I look forward to May each year when there will be another great mystery to solve.
on 29 November 2014
I don't think that this book is quite up to the authors usual standard. Usually once I start a Mary Higgins Clark, I can't put it down. Not the case with this one I'm afraid. It was still readable though.
on 20 September 2014
once I'd started to read The Lost Years I was hooked. I read it on the coach going to Kent for a holiday.
VINE VOICEon 5 February 2013
Mary Higgins Clark was a long time favourite author of mine and I always look out for her new books. But much as I hate to say it, I don't think her more recent ones are as good as the old ones.
In this latest release, a young woman, Mariah, is mourning the murder of her well respected academic father Jonathan. He had recently discovered an ancient parchment believed to be a priceless artifact stolen from the Vatican centuries ago. Was his murder connected? Horrified that her mother, an Alzheimer's sufferer, is the chief suspect, Mariah is determined to find the truth, but she is risking her life as she tries to discover the killer's identity.
If you like clean living, genteel crime books then this is ideal: there is nothing inappropriate (other than the odd murder), no bad language etc.
Whilst this is still a good read which kept me turning the pages, it is so very similar to the majority of Mary's books: wealthy, attractive, usually single heroine, searching for the killer of a member of her family or a friend, a number of similar male suspects who are usually well bred, charming and successful businessmen, and a hint of romance. It has proved to be a winning formula in the past but I do feel that the books are all getting a bit samey, and whilst this is still an interesting easy read, it's not in the same league as her early novels. The formula seems to be getting a little tired. I guessed the killer part way through and hoped there would be a twist that proved me wrong, sadly not this time.
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2013
Although the format is similar to her other books, the story itself is very different and I have to say just as good as her previous novels - young woman and band of friends, one of which is guilty. I did eventually guess correctly who had done it, which is rare for me.

I thought MHC did a good job with the writing of Kathleen and her dementia. I can only imagine what sufferers and family and friends go through.

A very relaxing read. Only complaint was that I finished it too soon. Couldn't put it down. Would recommend.
on 9 February 2013
but some of her other reads had not been too bad so I took a chance. The story line was good but the book could have been better and more exciting. Reading this made me feel I was reading something from years ago. Not a very exciting read and very predictable with no excitement and you could easily put it down at any time. The front page says she is 'The wrld's best loved thriller writer'-says who? I don't wish to be rude or unkind but she is hardly in the Michael Connelly range. Sorry, but would not recommend this to any avid crime reader.