Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 February 2013
Mary Higgins Clark was a long time favourite author of mine and I always look out for her new books. But much as I hate to say it, I don't think her more recent ones are as good as the old ones.
In this latest release, a young woman, Mariah, is mourning the murder of her well respected academic father Jonathan. He had recently discovered an ancient parchment believed to be a priceless artifact stolen from the Vatican centuries ago. Was his murder connected? Horrified that her mother, an Alzheimer's sufferer, is the chief suspect, Mariah is determined to find the truth, but she is risking her life as she tries to discover the killer's identity.
If you like clean living, genteel crime books then this is ideal: there is nothing inappropriate (other than the odd murder), no bad language etc.
Whilst this is still a good read which kept me turning the pages, it is so very similar to the majority of Mary's books: wealthy, attractive, usually single heroine, searching for the killer of a member of her family or a friend, a number of similar male suspects who are usually well bred, charming and successful businessmen, and a hint of romance. It has proved to be a winning formula in the past but I do feel that the books are all getting a bit samey, and whilst this is still an interesting easy read, it's not in the same league as her early novels. The formula seems to be getting a little tired. I guessed the killer part way through and hoped there would be a twist that proved me wrong, sadly not this time.
on 9 February 2013
but some of her other reads had not been too bad so I took a chance. The story line was good but the book could have been better and more exciting. Reading this made me feel I was reading something from years ago. Not a very exciting read and very predictable with no excitement and you could easily put it down at any time. The front page says she is 'The wrld's best loved thriller writer'-says who? I don't wish to be rude or unkind but she is hardly in the Michael Connelly range. Sorry, but would not recommend this to any avid crime reader.
on 18 April 2012
for the next one!! The highlight of the year for me is April when Mary brings out her new book. This is another great one and is like some of her earlier stories. If you enjoyed "Night-Time Is My Time" then you will certainly enjoy this. Have listened to the Audio Book and am now looking forward to reading it on my Kindle when it is released next month.
on 6 October 2012
Always been a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark and this book doesn't disappoint.I found it to be a page turner from start to finish and didn't want to put it down.Look forward to more.
on 12 September 2014
I usually enjoy Mary Higgins Clark books, this one was dreadful. I actually find it very hard to believe that she wrote it. The plot was boring, the dialect so slow & incredibly repetitive, the characters undeveloped & to be honest I really didn't care if the whole lot of them dropped dead. I would not recommend this book to anyone & would be amazed if Mary Higgins Clark even owned up to putting pen to paper should this book be mentioned in her presence. Don't bother, but do try her other books.
on 13 March 2016
Well, it was okay, certainly nothing to rave about. The plot is decent, similar to many of her other books. This one is written in a very weird style, every last thought that each character has is described, eg.
"I wonder what will happen now, Albert thought."
"they had what I would call a perfect marriage, Father Aiden recalled."
"I hope you're at peace, Daddy, Mariah thought as she fought back tears. But I have to say you've left us with a pretty awful problem. I know those detectives believe Mom did this to you."
Just 3 of zillions of examples. Maybe it was me, but writing style made my teeth itch.

Added to that, one of the detectives seems strangely dismissive of Alzheimer's, as if he's barely heard of it and his default assumption is the mum is pretending. As proof of this, he uses the fact that she contradicts herself. Surely someone with enough credentials to be leading a murder investigation should have a little common sense.

As a little aside, p.67 says that Jonathan has a portrait of himself hanging up in his living room ("a wonderful likeness that captured the intelligence in his expression and the hint of a smile that was never far from his lips"). If my husband ever suggests hanging a portrait of himself in our living room, I think it would be grounds for immediate divorce :-)
on 10 September 2016
This is the first Alvirah and Willy book by Mary Higgins Clarke that I have read (apart from Santa Cruise many years ago which I didn't enjoy and don't think I finished) and I believe is the 9th in the series. I don't know how Mary comes up with so many different story lines but she does and this was really interesting involving a missing possible religious parchment written by Christ and the death of a professor who had unearthed it. I love Mary's books and have read many - they are always easy to follow, traditional and you feel that you are in safe hands when reading it. Would recommend although probably not to everyone's taste.
on 19 August 2014
As with her other books there is an awful lot of telling and explaining and not enough showing, suggesting and hinting. The initial idea is good, the plot well thought out and the characters believable if a little undeveloped in places but the execution lacks the craft of a skilled writer. Overall worth a read on holiday but not one you'd mention in your postcards home.
on 3 May 2016
This is the first novel I have read of this author, and, will be my last. I have only managed to get 3/4's of the way through and will probably skip to the end. It's as though a child has written it. It has not frightened me to death as described by the New York Times; not teeming with tantalising twists, nor a thought-provoking thriller (Booklist) and how Karin Slaughter adores her is quite astounding. Don't waste precious time with it.
on 22 November 2012
Excellent as usual, a gripping read although I have got used to her writing and did figure out the "baddy" before the end!