Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2014
If you want to know what it was like to be a nurse in France and Belgium day-to-day during 1916 and 1918, then this is a good read. She comes across as a sensible, no-nonsense, self-possessed woman who is already acclimatised to seeing men gibbering with shell shock, or dying slow and agonising deaths from gas attacks, hideous open wounds and complications such as gangrene. She is also used to hearing (mostly apocryphal) tales of German brutality.

Bound to find a bigger readership this year with the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WWI and deservedly so. This is an 'ordinary' person's observations of extraordinary times that also highlights media inaccuracies and the dangers of propaganda, the everyday determination of people to make the most of their situation despite very real worries about loved ones and some nice incidental detail about an area of northern France now most famed for its battlefields.
on 25 June 2014
I found this book this diary very interesting as my Grandfather was wounded at Ypres and could possibly have been treated at one of these stations. He survived and was brought home unlike a lot of others. She was a very brave young woman whose life was greatly changed by what she witnessed.
on 29 December 2016
It is a shame that ALL of her diaries could not be found, but this is a worthwhile compilation of what remains and brings to light the horrors of what non-combatants also had to deal with. When I hear the N.H.S. bleating about too much work and not enough time to deal with today's casualties I think of this poor lady, who volunteered to do her bit for the war effort and who often had to tend 1,500 casualties each night and many did not survive more than a few hours.
The diary gives an insight into what she did in her spare time to get away from the nightmare of war.
A touching a worthwhile book to read.
on 4 January 2015
Edie Appleton was a professional nurse serving behind the lines in Northern France through the whole of the First World War. This book is a compilation of her surviving diaries, detailing her experiences of the war. Nursing the men recently wounded in action, and with the blast of war sometimes too close for comfort, Edie has a unique perspective that shows us aspects of the war that are never normally revealed. Edie shows herself to be a remarkable, professional nurse; practical, hard-working, compassionate but not remotely sentimental.

An extraordinary insight into the work of an extraordinary woman.
on 17 November 2013
The book is very poignant for me as she is describing scenes from WW1 that my great uncles fought and died in and one of them was a patient in one of the hospitals mentioned,
on 17 November 2014
Reading this as part of our Book Club:, very topical and we wanted a first hand account of The First World War by someone who was there at the time! Good read... Moving
on 3 December 2013
I have a huge interest in history and with regards to wartime history especially like reading personal accounts. I also work as a senior nurse so this book caught my eye and I thought it sounded a great read. I'm pleased to say it certainly didn't disappoint! Reading about Edith's experiences and thoughts provide a wonderful, moving and fascinating personal insight into this era in history. Edith has far from been forgotten to history, thanks to her account she is part of our history. Without doubt a must read.
on 1 August 2015
Breath taking account of a nurse on the Front during WW1.
A must read for anyone going into nursing or anyone interested in WW1
on 4 June 2016
I enjoyed this book vary much. The diaries are authentic and good history. I was a Sister in the QARANC, and Edith's experiences bring back memories for me, although I was an army nurse much later, we share the same language and similar experience of regimental living.
Unfortunately the nurse pictured on the book's cover is not the author, and not a sister in the QAIMNS. I think the publishers should change that, it doesn't do justice to Edith or to the QAs then and now.
on 16 June 2014
this book is so moving, it brought me to tears.What courage these young women showed in the time of terrible war.