TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2015
"Fifteen years ago a young girl was brutally attacked in the meadow behind her parents' Swedish country home. The crime went unreported; the victim silenced.
Cut to the present. It is a bleak February morning in Stockholm, when an unknown man is killed in a hit and run. At the same time, a priest and his wife are discovered dead in their apartment. Meanwhile, out in Bangkok on a business trip, a young woman finds that her flight has mysteriously been cancelled and, whichever way she turns, all contact with home has been cut off.
Following a trail that leads all the way back to the '90s, Alex Recht's team at the Stockholm Police, along with Investigative Analyst Fredrika Bergman, uncovers a terrible crime that was hushed up, but whose consequences reach further and deeper than anyone could ever expect."

A great follow-up to the first book in the Bergman & Recht series, hostage. Again the writing is fluent and engaging and the characters believable and very well drawn. The case moves along at a fast pace with many characters involved, but it is easy to follow and well built up to the dramatic ending.

Very much worth a read.
on 6 April 2014
This book is a little better than Unwanted but only because KO has tried to be a little more adventurous and imaginative. Other reviewers have already given a synopsis of the novel so I will give my reasons for not being too impressed. For a special pólice unit the officers seem none too bright and prefer to take the obvious answer to any question put to them. The Thailand connection implies something bigger and more sinister than turns out to be the case. Were I a Swedish national I would be appalled at the treatment given to the poor woman by the embassy official in Bangkok. The characters in the unit are too easily distracted by their personal lives, even Alex Recht, "the legend", as he was described in Unwanted. In modern crime fiction background information of the main characters seems to have become more important than the plot, KO seems to be taking this to Patricia Cornwell levels. Not one of the team has the home life of our own dear Wycliffe, Barnaby, Thanet et al. I have read that a film production company has secured the rights for the three novels. Perhaps KO can now concéntrate on writing scripts for a daytime tv soap. KO could do so much better. I shall read the next book and just hope that the unit has either been disbanded or that the three stars have come to their senses.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 May 2015
I liked this even more than The Unwanted which was good. That introduced us to the police team and all their little idiosyncrasies and this one was better for knowing them all, I thought.Then learning more about them all as this investigation progressed.
There were some horribly sad happenings in this story, though. However, I really look forward to the next in the series.
I was very happy to see the Americanised spellings had been dropped in this translation though at odd times we still had the odd word mixed up but nothing frightful. I spotted objection and think she meant observation and say where mean should've been used and one got a little lost when he got used and not she. Exhorted was used at one point and while I don't know what word I'd have used it wouldn't have been that one !! Prenuptial was misspelled and speechmarks were misused in a couple of places and that was it.
There were the odd lighter moments despite the murders going on and I liked how it featured two sisters and you never quite knew which one was being referred to. It kept it interesting. Really look forward to the third in the series.
on 18 March 2015
I enjoyed this almost as much as the first. The only reason this was a teeny bit less enjoyable for me was the complexity of the myriad plot lines. This is possibly in part because I like to read at bedtime, who knows. The development of the main characters was very good, I do like how the author keeps a little space between them so we see them more fully as individuals with their own part to play. This is refreshingly different from most work in this genre that I have read. The characters are very human, their own lives complex, they all have input and resolution. I will definitely look forward to reading the next in the series or more by this author.
on 6 March 2015
Better than the first book. Interesting character development of the police team involved. While one appreciates the story deals with a psychotic, you do wonder what would drive someone to the meticulous killing spree this contains. And while the identity theft of the character in Bangkok is plausible in some ways you kind of feel a mere paper copy of your passport would resolve the situation! For all that it's an entertaining read. This is the better end of Swedish noir and it's the personal issues of the cops that kept me hooked as much as anything.
on 5 April 2016
An ok story!...Started off very well but due to the three story lines running concurrently the suspense and my "page turning" enthusiasm soon waned as the influx of numerous characters left me more confused as each page was turned.

Generally, I need to ask WHY some authors insist on telling their story on three or more seemingly unrelated fronts eventually revealing all?
All that does is spoil the continuity of the story, lessen the suspense tremendously and gives confusion to the reader.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 May 2014
You need all your wits about you to keep up with the convoluted and complicated plot in this book. It starts with the gunshot death of refugee activist and his wife - was it murder/suicide or just murder? And it goes on from there with multiple interpretations of every situation. Some of these situations are easier to guess at than others but it is all very clever. Ms Ohlsson also spends time fleshing out the detectives' lives and characters by interspersing details of their personal situation with the investigation. I felt this was quite a long read and whilst it was interesting I didn't find it gripping as it was easy to put it down to go and do something else, which I don't understand as I think it is an amazing book in breadth and depth.
on 3 June 2015
Silenced is the second book in this promising Scandinavia crime series. You should read unwanted first as there is a lot going on the the team,s personal and professional lives that will continue throughout the series.

When a husband and wife are found shot dead in their home, detectives assume at first that no one else is involved. A seemingly unrelated hit and run, interviews with friends that don't add up, and the unknown whereabouts of their daughter, send them into the murky world of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.

The ending has several good twists and a satisfying conclusion. It also leaves us with a couple of cliffhangers involving the team that will make you look forward to the next book.
on 18 March 2015
Great gripping book that holds you until the end. I have already read two books written by this great author and will buy anymore she writes. I particularly like the way in which the story is written through her main characters and while the story holds you the characters never cease to amaze you with their individual life struggles. Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2014
What is it about Scandinavian writer? They seem to be able to create such an atmosphere that you can feel yourself there. Kristina is one such author, and 'Silenced' was the first of her books that I have read. It most certainly won't be the last.
There were multiple threads throughout the book, and the reader knows that they must all be connected in some way, must all come together in the end.
For instance, how can a girl in Baghdad who is being stripped of her identity (by whom?) be connected with a ruthless killing of an elderly couple in Sweden?
It's an edge-of-your seat novel, with sumptuous descriptions of both characters and locations.
I will certainly be reading more of Kristina's books, and I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a good thriller.