Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 June 2013
I received a telephone message from my bruv' conveying to me that Si' had added my moniker to chapter one of this glorious book? So without delay, I bought the bloody thing and have enjoyed reading it over the last day or so.

The early accounts of Primary school life are spot on, myself, Cobb, Le Merle and all the other t+ssers in our class, knew how to enjoy life in the early 70s. Simon was a funny bleeder then ... and still is to this day, it's a cracking read and despite him drifting to the 'darkside' (West Ham supporting) he remains a reliable entertainer both on the TV/Radio and in 'written word'.

So, Mr Day, thanks mate, it was very kind of you to plaster my early sporting, sexual and extortion exploits in your book, although, your worst fears regarding the red head hottie Miss Roy, was greatly overplayed ... It was all about Candy for Moi?
on 23 August 2013
. . . to borrow one of his colleague's catch phrases! I must admit that Simon wasn't my favourite comedian but I'd heard he'd had an interesting life and thought this book would be worth reading. Wasn't it just! I couldn't put it down. The main reason it resonated with me I think is that we grew up at the same time and lived through a lot of the same things. If only I'd had the talent as well! Anyway, it was great to read someone openly describing their life and thoughts in a way I wish I could but would never dare.
I'd only read one review of the book beforehand, in the Guardian, which ended "if all memoirs were this candid we might know celebrities better but like them less". I disagree, I like the guy a heck of a lot more.
on 7 May 2012
I'd admired Mr Day's work for some time but had no idea about his background - and what a background it is! Born into a relatively middle class family, his upbringing was far from cosy and included a stint in borstal and life as a bit of a vagrant, but a well dressed one, crashing wherever he could find to lat his weary head. He also flitted from lousy job to lousy job and developed various obsessions (fruit machines being one, been there done that) and a penchant for 'recreational' drugs. That's a very potted version of what is a very funny, but also at times sad, book, packed full of both amusing and shocking anecdotes and lots of laugh out loud analogies (my favourite being about magic mushrooms that tasted like "cow dung and the shattered dreams of a thousand earthworms).
on 21 September 2012
I have always been a fan of Simon Day when he was on the fast show, so this was a great find. Very funny, made me laugh out loud, but he had a very mixed, life, somtimes very sad, tragic and a drug addled period, his humour shone through,and I'm sure helped him create his stand up characters, great read didn't want it to end. Look forward to his next
on 23 April 2012
This is a very honest account of Simon`s life so far, it is at times sad and disturbing but scattered with laugh out loud lines.
If you are looking for something different, then this is a must read.
on 19 December 2012
Too much identification and written so descriptively it takes you places you would probably rather forget. Having said that it's laugh out loud funny and the final, victorious and touching paragraphs made me cry. Marvelous indeed.
on 29 November 2012
Simon Day was in the Fast Show, portraying Competitive Dad, Monkfish and a slew of other catchphrase-driven characters. After the Fast Show, he spent some time writing his autobiography, which is quite a grind. The things I wanted to read about were his time working up the comedy circuit; not the constant grousing about how the youth of today has it easy, drugs aren't as potent as they once were (that's right, the grass really was greener back then) and backhanded compliments about most of the people he worked with.

Plus, there's the delicious irony of Simon Day going on a horrible holiday to Australia and ending up in the Gold Coast (for which he has my utmost sympathies) and, on the way, being stuck next to a garrulous drunk who never stops being offensive. Perhaps the book was written so that you'd feel empathy with Day, because the book as a whole feels like you're stuck in a room with a man who won't shut up, for hours on end, occasionally threatening to tell you something interesting ("In fact we all went on holiday together to Miami, but that's another story" - a story we never get to read about, so thanks for nothing, Mr Day), but never amounting to more than a very longwinded moan.

There's a couple of good bits. Near the start it feels like it's being written in the character of an old Colonel Blimp-type. Then you realise it's just being written by a Colonel Blimp-type, and the shine goes off. There's a very good few pages where Day goes to a gig with a grumpy ex-army type, a horrible car-crash account of missing a gig because of England in the 1996 European quarter-finals, a description of John Thomson as a demented clockwork pirate ... And that's really about it. One of those books that should be fascinating yet fails inexplicably, just like Black Sabbath's roadcrew's memoirs.

Possibly I'm ill-disposed to it because I read it at 5 in the morning, suffering insomnia. But I believe a book emblazoned with the slogan "They really were marvellous times" needs something more enjoyable in it than somebody going on about all the cocaine they never enjoyed.
on 30 March 2013
This autobiography of Simon Day tells of his nice cosy middle class upbringing, which he rejected in favour of playing the fool, gambling and getting into trouble. He describes his bad behaviour and down and out circumstances, as he survived on his wits as a young man: making people laugh so they would buy him drinks and let him kip on their couch, while he struggled to keep down jobs, and shovelled any cash he had into fruit machines or drug dealers' pockets. It is very revealing, but lacking in humour, I found. There's the occasional funny line, but overall it is a serious work, but worth reading.
on 6 May 2013
A fascinating insight into the life of a very funny comedian. Thoroughly enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. Wanted to read how he progressed through life to the success he enjoys now.
on 12 October 2013
A friend had read it and said he (Simon Day) was mad - completely true. He had a crazy 'early days' not finihsed yet but it has made me laugh out load a few times.