on 11 January 2015
I bought this as a gift for my 8 year old son, along with another more prescriptive drawing introduction book, to try and encourage creativity. It is a brilliant book, and teaches drawing techniques whilst fostering imagination. My son is using it alongside the other book, and likes both approaches to teaching drawing. Lots of interesting ideas that do not bombard children with picture perfect examples, but has a more realistic approach to the drawing abilities of a child whilst encouraging improvement.
on 18 November 2012
I've often had the privilege of seeing Sarah Richardson inspire a group of children - a few friends, an entire class, a school-hall-full - to start drawing and keep on drawing, to enjoy themselves and to learn new skills and acquire confidence through their enjoyment. This book is the next best thing to being there in person. It's full of ideas and quirks and amusement and subtlety and things that you can try when you're seven years old and carry on doing until you are seventy-seven. Buy it for your class if you're a teacher, for your children if you're a parent, for your grandchildren if you've reached that age or for any child you know if you're a human being and like the fact that human beings like to make marks. It's the real thing.
on 2 October 2013
I bought this for my 8 year old son who loves drawing. He couldn't put it down, spending hours just reading it. He loves the idea that scribbles can be turned into anything and has made lots of scribble drawings. It's really extended what he is able to do and how he thinks about drawing. Rather than being overly prescriptive like alot of books (e.g. this is how to draw a cat) this book encourages creativity while giving guidance.
on 4 November 2012
The eye-catching cover made me stop and pick up this book, and I soon found myself engrossed in it. I loved how it started simply, in a way that would build a child's confidence in its own drawing ability. A wide range of drawing principles are illustrated using easy to follow, and frequently humourous, step by step instructions. A pencil and paper is all it takes to create shapes, patterns, faces, figures, landscapes, perspective and much, much more. Any child (or adult!) would benefit from this book.
on 14 January 2014
Gave it to our Granddaughter aged ten. She really enjoys using it. My reservation is that books like this are formulaic and do not encourage creativity. It is good for technique and how to use marks in effective ways.
on 5 December 2015
This is a really simple book that doesn't represent value for money - even the drawings are ropey which is a real shame as it's supposed to inspire children to draw. I am an art teacher and bought this book for my daughter as a christmas present but once I opened it I wasn't impressed. The ideas behind the 'guidance' are really basic and it's not even inspirational in its use of language. A disappointing purchase that was sent back.
on 7 October 2015
Fantasic book to help encourage creativity. Me and my son spent an entire morning reading through the book and on a sunny day sat out on a blanket at the park trying out all the different ideas it included. He is 7 years old and really enjoyed it and as an adult I have to say I did too. Perfect little gift to help inspire and also endorse the fact that anyone can do art. Loved it.
on 20 February 2013
My 13year old granddaughter loves this book and she sends me new drawings she has enjoyed creating.It's not easy choosing a gift for a teenager so I'm pleased she likes it !
on 20 April 2014
best of the bunch as in 'Make Your mark' is the best in this genre - a drawing book for children which develops skills and imagination. I have used it as a teacher and as a 'punter'. Great for both requirements.
on 24 April 2014
A great book, packed with loads of ideas to get children switched onto drawing, looking and thinking creatively. It is a perfect gift.