on 4 November 2013
Having been lucky enough to experience first-hand the wonder that is Uyen Luu's gastronomic talent - I've attended the amazing, groundbreaking supper club hosted in her Hackney home many times and been knocked out by the quality of dishes that emerge from what is essentially an ordinary domestic kitchen - it's no surprise to find this new book (the first of many by Uyen, no doubt) as colourful and dynamic as she and her food.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the flavours of southeast Asia will find much here to inspire and delight; the writing is clear, the recipes easy to understand for even a novice and the photography is charming and beautiful. The opportunity to attempt to emulate the dishes Uyen has created for this gorgeous book is just too tempting to pass up.

Highly recommended.
on 7 June 2014
I enjoy Vietnamese food and have bought a couple of other recommended Vietnamese cook books in the past meaning to try cooking it at home. But somehow they didn't inspire me and the recipes looked either rather dull or occasionally very complex.

However Uyen Luu's book is lively and interesting and I've cooked several excellent recipes from it in the last two months. Highly recommended!
on 1 November 2013
This book is inspiring, helping me to make more adventurous food whilst experiencing a different culture. Thank you Uyen Luu for introducing me to such beautiful food.....always a winner at dinner parties !!!
on 10 November 2015
Visited Vietnam for a holiday this year and absolutely loved the food. As the writer is Vietnamese I thought it was the right way to go to see her recipes and I was right. Throughly enjoying going through the recipes and learning a lot. I am a youngish pensioner but your never too old to learn!! Lol.
on 9 December 2013
I recently returned from a fantatsic trip to Vietnam and I wanted an authentic cook book in some of the Vietnamese classics.
This hit the spot and is very intuitive and easy to understand.
Great cookbook !!
on 5 December 2013
Firstly, this book is a great introduction to Vietnamese cookery which takes you through ingredients, different mealtimes and how Vietnamese people feel and think about food. The recipes are easy to follow and those that I've tried are delicious! But also, it is really beautifully designed and produced, with excellent photography - it feels special and makes an attractive addition to any bookshelf. Some of the ingredients can be difficult to track down if you don't have a specialist Vietnamese shop near to you, but nonetheless I think this would make a great gift for anyone who loves food and cooking.
on 6 November 2013
I have always loved Vietnamese food, but until I bought this book, I didn't have the confidence to make it for myself. This book is beautiful, as are the recipes, and I Will certainly be turning to this book again and again for inspiration.
on 9 May 2014
Being Vietnamese i bought this for a friend. I flicked through it and it looked quite good with conventional and unconventional dishes unfortunately i wasn't able to try them out. Good looking and well made book. I gave it a four star which might be a tad harsh as there were duplicated pages in the middle, taking away from the quality feel. Fortunately it were duplications as opposed to missing pages. There are not a lot of accessible books available on Vietnamese cooking, this one is a good introduction.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2013
Full disclosure - Uyen is a friend of mine. However, I am well-known for being (brutally) honest, and even if I did not know her, I would heartily recommend this book. From the very first pages, you know you're in safe hands - there are lavish photo guides to Vietnamese herbs, noodles and spices. As you go through, every single recipe has a photo to illustrate it, which means you know how exactly how the dish should turn out. The text is clear and well-written, but most importantly, I have attended Uyen's Vietnamese cookery class and eaten at her supperclub and I KNOW for a fact that this woman can cook and can teach - for example, I make her recipe for Caramelised Pork Belly and Eggs a lot, and it was Uyen who taught me how to make Vietnamese Summer Rolls.

I love My Vietnamese Kitchen so much that I bought 6 copies of it to give to all my family this Christmas (I hope they don't see this review) - it may be one of the most stunning cookbooks I have ever seen, so even if they never bother to use it (which would be madness), it makes a brilliant gift. Seriously, you should buy it.
on 18 June 2014
Uyen's book is fabulous. It's not very big but each recipe is a star and is so authentic and achievable it really is like taking a trip back to Vietnam without the hassle or expense. It is a cuisine which relies on lots of fresh herbs, so it's great for summer, the chicken salad may not sound like the most exciting recipe but it is so delicious i can't stop making it.