on 1 May 2013
I am a semi professional baker and teach baking.

This is not a cake baking book - simply patisserie as it's best. Sweet delights that you see in shop windows in Paris.
Of course there are more sophisticated items too but this book is for the amateur / home baker. There are still challenges to master like Chocolate and pear buche de Noel, Chocolate and caramelized banana gateau or Tarte croustillante aux abricots.

I have baked the Honey and vanilla madeleines and they were wonderful. Even skipping the recommended 30-40 minutes to refrigerate before spooning into the pan. Got 12 as stated. Very moist. Needed more time in the oven as stated but that always depends on your oven. Right?
Did also the Fraisier but with a pistachio Creme Patisserie. Worked brilliant on two Swiss roll pans and went off the greasproof paper with such ease.
Like the Sachertorte recipe which differs a little from mine adding ground almonds but with adding the egg whites at the end to make it fluffy instead using baking powder. Very Austrian indeed.

Thank you Will for using the correct word 'Viennoiserie' instead of Danish pastry.

I wish I would have written such a great book when I was your age.
on 23 June 2013
The beer and chocolate has been a hit. Creme Patissiere recipe is incorrect. I was not convinced of the quantities of dry ingredients to wet to create a cream and was proved right. You could resurface the M25. Will use the book for ideas only and adapt.
on 5 April 2013
I have many many cookery books but this is absolutely outstanding. The section on technique is very clear and explains everything well. Made palmiers already and can't wait to get cracking on the rest.
on 30 June 2013
As previously noted, the quantities on at least one of the recipes are indisputably incorrect and this means there is no way of knowing how any other recipes are incorrect. Shame on the author and publishers for poor proof reading.
on 4 May 2015
I am currently training as a patissier and bought this book with several others for at home practise. What a disappointment. Nothing I have made from here following it's exact instructions have worked. Such a disappointment. The concepts are lovely however no substance. Beautiful pictures with frustratingly wrong recipes.
on 27 April 2013
First up I'm a semi professional baker, so I'm writing off personal crapness is the kitchen here. I bought the book and have baked the financiers (a recipe I've made countless times before). For a start using the mini loaf tins as specified they made only five, at 60g each (raw) rather than the stated 8 - 10. They were underbaked at the time given, greasy and heavy when they were finally done.

I'm so dissapointed, it's a very pretty book, but I'm afraid it's not enough to be pretty, the recipes have to work or it's all just window dressing.
on 20 May 2014
Not worth buying, unless you just like photographs. Instructions on some recipes are wrong, plus the timings are wrong.
Tried to make Croissants not good results. We then checked other Recipe books and found instructions for kneeding very different.
The proof reader did not do his or her job correctly. If I put my name to a book I would want to have checked everything. Shame on you Will Torrent.
on 19 July 2014
The book itself is rather seductive: beautiful photographs, straightforward recipes and once you work out what type of sugar is needed, clear ingredient lists. However, having now tried 5 different recipes, I've come to the conclusion that the actual recipes are flawed. I think it seems to be the ingredient quantities and having read subsequent reviews, there seems to be some consensus about this. I'm not a patisserie chef but as a home-baker, I usually do alright - every thing I've cooked from Torrent's book hasn't worked. As lovely as this book appears (and if based on looks alone, I'd be tempted to give 4 or 5 stars) I'd avoid buying it.
on 7 April 2013
Patisserie that you think impossible to make, made possible at home with Torrant - easy to follow recipes with flare and sparkle. This is the book to use for any special dinner party.
on 23 March 2014
We bought this book as we can't afford a professional patisserie course. Our 4 attempts have been disastrous! We have found that the quantities have been inaccurate, the timings have needed adjustments and the results haven't tasted very good.

The illustrations are very pretty but haven't translated into reality.

What a disappointment!