on 31 January 2015
I've read many decoration books (especially on eclectism), and had doubts when buying this book as I feared whether it'd be too old school for my taste. How wrong was I! The writer has a beautiful way of writing, bringing the entire book to life, pages adorned with lovely eclectic English interiors that I can make work in my own home too. The book is also different from others, in the sense of it doesn't keep saying "do this, don't do this". Instead, it chooses to take you through beautiful English room examples which speak for themselves.

I loved it so much, I know about as a gift for an architect friend. 5 stars from me!
on 29 September 2017
This is a useful book to browse through for tips on decoration - of which there are legion ! Having a largeish double-fronted Victoroan house (1874) in the suburbs we have adopted many of Ben's ideas from mantlepiece ideas to bookshelves to prints for walls. Many 18th century prints can be picked up cheaply on ebay along with items of Victorian furniture. Thank you Ben, I'm looking forward to your next book !
on 6 January 2015
An electric mix of interior styles with many of the featured rooms being very individual and with plenty to inspire. Some great lived-in schemes. Not an interior design book full of overly coordinated rooms, rather the opposite.
on 24 January 2018
Lovely book
on 27 October 2013
I love this book. While I am not a great fan of "English style" in decoration, Ben Pentreath writes so well and is so passionate about his subject, that the book sings. Great images and excellent text. A lovely book.
on 25 July 2015
Full of inspiring pictures of rooms which have been assembled over the years, creating a real sense of narrative. The writing, as always from Ben Pentreath, is thoughtful and sensitively nuanced.
on 29 September 2016
Delighted with this book. If you like traditional interior decoration + a glimpse inside the homes which inspired the book it's a must.
on 28 March 2015
very nice book at a great price - super photos, lots of ideas!
on 9 November 2017
Lots of information and nicely presented
on 17 October 2016