on 15 February 2013
Interior styling books to me are surely all about finding your individual style...
To be inspired !
Personally the most useful styling books do not distract me with grand scale rooms, rare architectural features and all that.
What I want from an Interior styling book is achievable illustrations of rather normal rooms brought to life with a unique style that can be made to suit my everyday life.

'Homespun Style' to me seems personal.
I have LOTS of Interior books and I really get a buzz from looking at them but Homespun Style is my taste in one. It is a collection of colours, patterns and styling that suits me down to the ground.

I feel cross that people want to write about the Author and feel the need to slate her and her books. It's not helpful.
If Miss Lake and her books are not to your individual taste, that's OK. But please go to a book shop, find the Interiors section and look for an author and their books that you do like and buy them.
This is not a 'How to make' book or I believe Miss Lake or Ryland, Peter & small would have seen fit to add to the title.

I wish to thank Miss Lake for putting this book together. I love looking at it and it's been a wonderful source of inspiration for me, my business and my family home. You can't please everyone but i'm one happy bunny x
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 March 2012
I have just bought this book and must say it's like looking through a candy shop window. The explosion of beautiful images on each page had my heart racing and I had to skim through the book first before taking the time as you normally would with a new book. It shows that you don't have to have huge amounts of money to create interesting areas of your home and to not have to worry about cost. As more and more people focus on recycling and creating their own personal style it shows that it can be cheaper unique and a lot of fun to create your own home furnishings. Using recycled/vintage fabrics and creative techniques such as quilting/crochet which have long been forgotton help to create ones' own individual style. People in this book have shown this can be done and it certainly does'nt fail to disappoint. The book is split into various sections containing elements, details & spaces very well laid out and definately a book that I think will be spoke about for a long time to come. It is a joy to look at for inspiration and generally to have on the coffee table in your living room. Well done Selina I think you should be very proud of this beautifully inspiring book.
on 9 March 2012
I received this book today and have just been reading it.... All I can say is that once again Selina Lake has produced a visually beautiful and inspiring book which is a great tool to make changes in your home to suit the individuals personality!. well worth investing in especially if you enjoyed Selina's romantic style.... And appreciate the pretty things in life! .
on 15 February 2012
Selina Lake has succeeded in bringing out another gorgeous book that just inspires me with every page I turn. She has i believe, that special gift for bringing things together, both in terms of her styling and in sourcing the right homes from around the world, to feature under one theme.

The beautifully styled and photographed homes, do not feel unattainable, they show just what can be achieved with a few considered touches. Selina helps us by clearly defining a look, the way that fashion stylists would for magazines shoots, their choices, their expert eye, helping to show us what works together and inspire our own individual choices.

Homespun has been divided into 3 sections:
Elements: covers modern craft, colour & pattern, customising & recycling
Details: covers textiles, furniture & lighting, and display
Spaces: showcases looks within relaxed living, cooking & eating, sleeping & bathing,children's rooms, creative & outdoor spaces

We get to take a look at rooms within some truly beautiful homes, all brimming with individuality and design ideas to inspire. With photographs taken by Debi Treloar, that are full of soulful colour combined with Selina's attention to all important little details, the result is a book showcasing a style of decor that feels full of light, colour, the lovingly handmade and a freedom of expression that uplifts the heart.

Decorating is always a balance, not least so when dealing with the repurposing of vintage pieces and adding such an eclectic mix into one home. Its all too easy to lose identity, instead of enhancing personality. But here we are shown how to add the homespun look in ways that create just the right feel within modern day rooms, and how recycling and reinventing the old, doesnt have to have the sense of being outdated. It can instead create an entirely fresh, yet at the same time comforting feel to our homes, that for me, only the handcrafted or vintage can truly bring.
Kat
on 29 July 2014
Selina Lake is simply one of the best interior stylists around. Looked through this book whilst on a trip to Brighton. It is full of wonderful homely interiors with a vintage flavour but still has a modern twist. Fab photography too. A real treat.
on 7 March 2013
fabulous photographs and the usual inspirational writing we've learned to expect from Selina, only criticism; very similar to her other book - bazaar style.
on 24 December 2012
I love Selina and the books she styles and produces. Really lovely and styled so sweetly. I particularly love this book because there are homes I've not seen all over blogs and Pinterest so I felt the content was fresh. I loved seeing tiny peeks of tablescapes in Selina's home too - was nice catching a peek of her personal style. Great job, Selina!
on 12 November 2012
one of my top books I have bought this year, infact I loved it that much, i ordered another for my friend who was equally delighted with its contents, I wanted to live in every room and was inspired to create many of the looks in this book. You will not regret buying this book, and it also makes a beautiful gift, if you can bear to part with it.
on 9 November 2014
Fantastic book for ideas for all rooms in the home, a book I repeatedly look to , gorgeous full page pictures and good size book.Reccomended!
on 4 June 2013
A really lovely book full of colour, & really great spaces. Fab to sit down if you get a quiet moment to enjoy a cuppa & a peruse