on 13 April 2017
exellent
on 30 August 2011
What can I say, I'm so delighted with this book. I've been waiting for a book like this for a long time, ever since I was a little girl in fact. There have been a few over the years and naturally more recently, but none of them seem to quite thrill me as this book does. I just received it for my birthday and have baked the one on the cover. Wow, it went down a treat with the family that's for sure! I've been 100% coeliac all my life and try as they might, gluten free food and recipe books especially for cakes and bakes, have tended to be quite dry and flavourless, or not quite as pictured (I've had them send from as far away as Australia). One or two old recipes have stood out over time and these have been made to death by me and my family (who aren't gluten intolerant). So when this arrived on my lap I was absolutely thrilled. I'm so excited about the pastry section of the book as well, as I've never ever had profiteroles or vanilla slices before! I can also see that the difference with this book from others is the delicate balance between GF flour, ground almonds, dairy products and xanthan gum, which seems to do the trick by becoming a substitute for the missing gluten and adds lots of flavour to the recipes. Perhaps the problem with a number of GF products is that they have to cater for all manner of intolerances from eggs to dairy, to diabetes, etc, but I'd say this book is not really for a mix of allergies or intolerances - perhaps that could be Hannah Miles's next book? In the meantime this gluten-free book for me is brilliant and I'm over the moon about it - thank you at last!
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 August 2017
Love this book.Made lots of successful things from it. First borrowed it from my local library, so couldn't resist downloading it to my Kindle when I saw it was available.
on 22 January 2015
Fabulous cook book
on 29 October 2015
Great recipes, whole family can eat my food!!!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 November 2012
As soon as I saw this, I knew there was a copy with my name on it. These recipes are gorgeous and this book puts an end to the question for the gluten intolerant - Can I have my cake and eat it? Yes you can. Cookies, brownies, cakes, breads and pastries are all included. There are suggestions about the gluten-free diet and what you can eat. However, you'll probably want to skip straight to the recipes. So far I have tried the flatbreads - would have liked more savoury recipes. Also tried the Caramel shortbreads because I had a can of condensed milk lurking in the cupboard. Both recipes turned out really well and there's lots more I am wanting to make. Excellent recipes for treats. This review first appeared on welovefinefoods website.
on 20 February 2013
This is an inspirational book which is easy to follow . It's a pity there are not more bread recipes
on 12 September 2011
At last - a recipe book for GF cakes and scones that are not dry and tasteless. The secret seems to be in the use of ground almonds in everything, giving texture, moistness and flavour. I can now bake GF cakes that my husband will happily eat. I have still to try the scones, but am confident that they will taste wonderful - a good scone is the thing I miss most since being diagnosed coeliac. Thank you, Hannah.
on 15 February 2012
Having recently discovered that I have become gluten intolerant I was feeling rather sad about all the foods that I would no longer be able to eat. The gluten-free shop bought bread, cakes and biscuits were frankly dull and my husband had rejected as inedible my first couple of attempts at cooking gluten-free replicas. Then I found this book! I am already in heaven. I have just knocked up a batch of delicious ginger and lime cookies that taste as good as any I have ever made! Hooray! I can't wait to try so many more of the recipes - a fantastic selection of biscuits, cakes, scones, muffins, bread and desserts. Thank you for making me happy again!
on 2 August 2013
Great, easy to follow recipes and all really nice. Everything easily explained and easy to follow. Would recommend this book to every Coeliac wanting a nice cake - that all the family will enjoy