on 15 April 2011
This book is excellent to anyone who is interested in traditional Nordic or Scandinavian cakes and other sweet treats.

As the author is Finnish, most of the recipes are Finnish. Being a Finn myself I obviously like it very much, but if you are primarily interested in perhaps Swedish delicacies (like the Princess cake) or Norwegian goodies (like Kransekake) this might not be the book for you. That said, even if the recipes are in my opinion primarily Finnish origin, there is really not so much variation between the traditional nordic bakery produce, such as rye bread, cinnamon buns, gingerbread cookies or buns, so for those interested in general Nordic produce, the book is excellent!

Ginger, cardamom and cinnamon typify Nordic baking, and are used lots in the recipes. I would especially recommend everyone try the Classic Cinnamon buns, Little Butter Buns, Pulla Bread, and Karelian Pies. I like the fact that the book also has recipes for savoury pies, like a Wild Mushroom Pie, or Salmon coulibiac. There are also recipes for all kinds of scandinavian bread, several recipes of different variations of rye bread, barley flatbreads and sweet, dark Archipelago bread (very yummy!).

I like the rustic feel of the book - the pictures are muted and peaceful, almost as taken in a private kitchen. Good material for inspiration!

Based on this book, I think I should visit their bakery in Soho sometime soon :) And by the way, shame that the author didn't mention this, but it can be tricky to find rye flour in UK - in London you can definately get it from Finnish, Swedish or Norwegian churches in SE16 and you might find it in health shops too.
19 people found this helpful
|66 Comments|Report abuse
on 15 February 2014
I bought this book for my best friend for her birthday after she dropped a couple of hints. She spoke very highly about some of the recipes, so when I visited London in the new year, I went into the Nordic Bakery and tried one of their cakes. It was so delicious I knew I had to order one of these books for myself and try baking it at home!

The book was delivered very quickly, and I immediately bought ingredients to make the spiced date cake.

The recipe worked perfectly, as have other recipes I have tried from the book since. I love this book and I'm so glad I bought myself a copy after getting the first one for my friend. I'm looking forward to trying out the rest of the recipes, and I highly recommend this book to anyone else who has an interest in baking and Scandinavian food.

I wish I could rate this book MORE than 5 stars!
7 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2014
I am just starting to get back into baking, and I have friends who love products from Norway and Sweden, so I bought this book as a reference source for my baking. My friends got hold of the book and I now have orders for quite a few different things from the book. It looks like I'm going to be busy!
This book has good photos, and the recipes appear clear and simple to follow, but I've not tried one yet.
on 29 July 2011
The book is beautiful, the images seductive and colours amazing. I am a customer of the Soho Bakery and I love it there. I am also a pretty experienced cook. I am sad to say that the recipes I tried [a few!] seem odd - quantites for ingredients don't seem right, batters or filling or topping never seems right and always requires a tweek or reverting to another book for reference but sticking to the flavouring and presentation in The Nordic Bakery cookbook. Maybe the recipes should have gone a few rounds in the test kitchen before sending off for publication?

If you are experienced at cooking this kind of fare and dont mind messing around a bit to get things right then by all means enjoy this book. If you are expecting to be able to cook some Scandi Bakery goods in a straight forward way and have it all work out first go, then unfortunately this is not the right book for you.
26 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 March 2013
I FOUND THIS BOOK TO BE VERY INTERESTING I LIKE TO SEE THE TYPE OF BAKING THEY DO IN OTHER COUNTRIES I FIND THIS FASCINATING
on 3 May 2015
Great recipe book although has some ingredients in it that you probably won't find in your local Health Food shop or supermarket. Luckily I did find some of the flour's on Amazon.

Quite large quantities of food are made in these recipes and you need a large working surface for some of the dough/pastry (or just half the quantities)

The cinnamon rolls are simply divine!
One person found this helpful
on 10 December 2013
This was a present for one of my daughters so I can only say it appears to have been satisfactory.
on 18 August 2013
A nice enough book to look at but the recipes have clearly not been tested.
What can you expect when the writer is a branding and marketing professional, and not a cook!

Made the oatbake with blueberries and rasberries and it was revolting!
Also, the oatbake, and most of the cakes for that matter, are instructed to be baked in gas mark 4 which is way too low a temperature! I baked mine for the instructed 60 min and it was still raw inside, put it in at gas mark 6 for another 30 min and it was still wet inside, at which point I gave up as the consistency was clearly far too runny and something about the recipe was not right.

I am a Finn and know a thing or two about Finnish baking but this book comes across as a gimmick, another marketing ploy to make a quick buck, riding at the cafe's reputation. What a shame, not doing any favours for the Finnish baking skills, especially when there are many other Scandinavian cookery books on the market that are way better.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2016
I really wished I could rank this book higher but I have tried quite a few recipes from the book and they all turned out very average. I am quite experienced at cooking and baking so I can't blame it entirely on my skills. So basically I find that the recipes look better on paper than in one's mouth... Which is upsetting as I really like their cafes in London.
on 7 November 2011
This book is really a beautifully illustrated and atmospheric cook book even the paper is lovely ... however, it assumes a lot of knowledge and is short on working detail - one gets the impression it is written for and by really experienced bakers. It could do with a glossary at the back and an elaboration on some of the ingredients and where to get them or what to substitute them with. e.g. even the dried yeast referred to - is a different product from the one I normally use which did not work as well. Also the volume and qauntities are for making large batches of bread at once. Will continue to experiment and enjoy the different flavours though and it really opens the possiblities to baking very different things. Lots of options for using rye flour!!
3 people found this helpful