on 24 August 2012
I'm primarily a PHP developer. However, I still need a strong knowledge of front-end languages such as HTML and CSS in order to output the HTML generated by PHP.

I've worked through the examples in this book and now feel much better equipped to do my job. The author demostrates deep knowlege and experience and this book will always stay close at hand on my desk to use a reference whenever I forget something. The author uses humour and movie references to present what can sometimes be a dry and frustrating area especially when working with Microsoft's early web browsers.

Other reviewers have quite rightly mentioned that the images used in the book are in black and white. I didn't find this a problem as I downloaded the example code from the packt website and followed along using the authors live demonstration site.

Thank you Ben, 5 stars from me.
on 24 January 2013
I have read lots of books on responsive design and this has to be the best. It covers CSS3 and HTML5 succinctly and without conjecture or opinion. The author makes it enjoyable to work through the sections. A great introduction to the technologies for me, who has been working with HTML and CSS for years.
on 9 February 2013
I am a part time web designer (evenings only - real job as a web applications performance tester).

I taught myself how to create sites some 10 years ago using a Fireworks/slices export to Dreamweaver approach and have only started to move into the real world in the last couple of years...

This book absolutely nails some of the key elements of responsive design in a really easy to understand format. It has doubled my capability in one book (not sure what that says about my capabilities!).

Not only does it explain things from a responsive design point of view it introduces (and explains exactly how to use) some of the huge advantages of CSS3's ability to replace aesthetics previously handled by javascript.

I eagerly await any future offerings from this author....
on 21 January 2013
Bought this to learn about everything it says on the cover. Have read other web design books before, read the Dreamweaver CS3 Missing Manual, it was good, got me started. Tried one wordpress just recently, found it incredibly tedious and a real slow book to read, didn't grab me or keep me interested.
This one however, is a delight to read! Actually got through it all in two sittings. Nicely written, good examples and treats you like a thinking person. I guess some knowledge of web design is going to be important, but why the hell buy it if you have no previous experience!
Anyhow, I can't recommend it enough, it's got me hooked on html5 and css3. I use Bootstrap to handle my responsive designs and this book has helped me grasp all this ideas I was unsure of.
on 21 August 2013
About three quarters of the way to what I was looking for. Does what it says on the cover - responsive web design, using HTML5 and CSS3. After an opening chapter on the mindset of responsive design and some suggested testing tools, it then goes on to convert and add features to a basic site using responsive design ideas. The chapter headings break it down fairly clearly and for the purposes of redesigning a site on modern principles, it covers a lot.

The area perhaps lacking is in the semantic use of HTML5 - the coverage of various HTML5 structural elements is a bit light and you're designing, or redesigning a site, you may need some other resource for this.
on 14 December 2012
A book you can read in a weekend and go back to again and again.
I followed through the exercises using the downloaded code, and then applied the ideas to my own website as I went along.
I haven't used everything in the book and I keep referring back to it for ideas.
There are some great links to other useful sites in the book too - especially for fonts and dealing with some of the older browsers.
on 2 April 2013
Provides a great introduction to the recent improvements to html and css with easy-to-follow examples using the code downloads and links to other useful sites. Not every manufacturer's browser can currently handle all the latest developments described in the book, which causes some confusion when the code is rendered, but that doesn't detract from the wealth of knowledge this book imparts.
on 31 July 2013
I bought the Kindle edition. This book had everything I needed to take my existing HTML 4, flash and spry site and convert to a mobile aware responsive site using HTML5 and JQUERY(mobile). The pointer on how to re-size images on the server side was useful. I was a bit rusty on HTML and CSS when I began, but this book had clear explanations and good examples.
on 6 November 2013
I have been looking for a way of learning how the new responsive sites work. I needed to get some idea of the actual subject itself and so I chose this book as a starter. It has held me all the way through. I believe I have a better understanding of the concepts involved and I am eager to learn more
on 27 July 2012
This book is a "must have" position in Web Designer's library.

I bought it to have an overview of what's (or will be) new in HTML 5. Also I've wanted to learn how to make a web page that will look good in any kind of device. I can say that I'm satisfied. This is what I was looking for.