Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2011
The Digital Scholar: How Technology Is Transforming Scholarly Practice is a very timely book which focusses on the key pinch points in academic research and publishing, including the nature of scholarship in an era of rapidly evolving digital technologies, public engagement with academic activity, and reward and recognition for academic effort. With David Willetts' recent rethink on the hoof of criteria for the forthcoming Research Excellence Framework exercise, The Digital Scholar is at the forefront of issues of public accountability of higher education and research. In view of the content of the book, it is fitting that Martin Weller has also chosen to explore new distribution models for academic publications by making the text freely available online as well as in electronic and traditional printed versions. This book represents the leading edge of current academic thought and points the way towards the future of scholarly practice.
on 20 May 2012
I was recommended this book by a friend and at just the right time since I'd started some continued professional development in online tutoring (I'm an OU tutor). Some of the memorable bits are about the blur between for example professional and personal life when we use blogs, about whether when a student produces a video mashup of various media it might be considered learning as much as one who writes an essay in presenting an argument.
This will certainly be a key reference source for my study of H812 (an OU post graduate module).
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2014
Large parts of this book are set work for a course I am studying and I decided to get the whole book as a result.

The author is an authority on eLearning and the concepts and components that relate to the topic, his work is also very readable.

In the book, aspects of changing technologies and the way pedagogues are changing to make use of the technology are discussed in very clear terms and in an engaging manner. There is much to provoke further thought and some good pointers to areas for further research. A very good book.
on 7 September 2011
A scholar who believes in ten years we will find scholarly work online. I wonder, given the pace of change if ten months would be more accurate. I read students of his work at the Open University who reference their every blog as if it were a thesis or a micro-paper and others who receive over 1,000 page views a day. Whilst scholarship isn't a numbers game it pays to have informed readers.
on 7 August 2013
I am studying e-learning at present, and this is a book I have dipped into frequently, and am sure I will continue to consult. Weller is always a stimulating read, even if one doesn't always agree with him.
on 8 October 2015