Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 December 2014
typical Salford humour a great read and down to earth ............no prima donna here ......just a true gritty craftswoman telling her story.....
on 9 August 2017
fantastic
on 11 October 2012
I didn't know an awful lot about Elkie and wouldn't necessarily have been curious to buy her autobiography but I saw her being interviewed on Breakfast t.v. back in the summer talking about her book which she'd recently had published. I was impressed with the interview and loved the way she came across so on that basis bought it.
Unfortunately, I've only recently had a chance to read her book but I'm glad I did as I've really enjoyed it. It's searingly honest and funny and she comes across as a warm, strong person who if she's your friend, she'll always be there for you.
I found it extremely interesting hearing all about her early life as apart from knowing her original surname, I knew nothing else. As mentioned before, she is very honest and there is no "sugar coating" - she describes everyone in great detail and says it like it is. I appreciated this as sometimes people's bios are that they loved and liked everybody and that everyone is perfect.
She is upfront that she did have issues with alcohol (this is resolved and in the past) but she didn't dwell on this or go into great detail - it wouldn't have been necessary and I am so glad this wasn't a focus as she has achieved and done so much in her file. Again, sometimes with people in the public eye, my feeling is that they can inadvertently glamorise alcohol and drug issues and give the impression that if you haven't been through it/experienced this then you're not the real deal. Not so in my opinion!

She comes across as a "real" person - someone who is completely honest and truthful about herself and her experiences. There are also plenty of amusing anecdotes and comments which add to a very enjoyable read.
on 18 July 2012
This was a really interesting book and didn't pull any punches about Elkie's life including drink, drugs and almost financial ruin.
It explained her childhood, being brought up in a jewish family, and then her journey, from quite a young age,into the music industry.
I was amazed at her life in the last 20 years and the enormous problems she and her family experienced, and how they coped and stayed strong.
This book is well worth reading even if you are not an Elkie Brooks fan. A thoroughly entertaining read . *****Finding My Voice: Elkie Brooks
on 20 July 2012
Elkie Brooks has to be the best all round singer the U.K. has ever produced.
This I found to be funny in parts ans also sad.
If you think this woman ,has had it easy since her chart success, you are so wrong.
It give you an insite to the music buisness, also a journey full of ups and a lot of downs.
A great read.
on 22 July 2012
Having been a fan of Elkie Brooks for over 30 years I was very exited when I heard this book was coming out ... I started reading it yesterday afternoon and was so "absorbed" by its content I didn't put the book down until I had finished it ( 2am this morning ).

It doesn't matter if you are a fan or not , this book pulls no punches , its a raw and gritty story which covers the highs and devastating lows of what has been ( and still is ) a remarkable career .

Without giving too much away we are taken on an emotional journey which started back in 1945 in Manchester when Elaine Bookbinder came into the world , her Jewish upbringing and how it shaped her life , the drink , the drugs , the chart successes, the financial ruin and so much more .

This is a story of triumph over adversity , this book will shock you in parts , make you laugh , make you cry, and for me the moral of this story is that if you have a talent and the support of your family you can overcome whatever life throws at you.

An inspirational story from an inspirational lady ... buy it today ... you will not be disappointed .
on 22 July 2012
It is very rare for me to pick a book up and read, only do this on holiday. I have followed Elkie since 1977 so i thought it would be a insight into what went on behind the scene. I am not disapointed. She has been very truthfully about some of her songs and tours, her home life famliy money you name she has not heald back. She said that if she did not write the book one day someone would do a unauthorise one. I am glad she has it's a work of art, i am half way through and cannot put it down. Well worth the wait.
on 18 July 2012
This is a brilliant book! it is the fantastic story of an amazing lady with an awesome voice, one of our best ever singers and performers.
on 23 July 2012
A fantastic read plenty of ups but some major lows as well. A brilliant expose of the perils of the music industry and the practices adopted by record companies. Elkie ended up with 2 months to get out of her house in Woody Bay and ended up living in a mobile home - none of her fans knew about this. How the hell she got through it all is just amazing but she wouldn't have lasted for 50 years in the business unless she was a tough lady. A very good read give it a go
on 27 July 2012
This is a very good read . As a fan for many years , Elkie has kept a lot away from people and dealt with it her way . She tells it from the heart . There is no way any of the singers of today would have survived like she has . Go on buy it you will enjoy the read