on 4 September 2014
Not a favourite read although I did enjoy some aspects of the story line. If you are a guy then you might enjoy the book more with it's technical jargon on building techniques. Al was some sort of enigma not really there for most of the time in the story, bit disappointing from a female point of view. A bit chewy glad when it came to an end.
on 30 September 2015
Not bad.... I read a lot of travel/ relocating books and this one was quite a good offering. The author gives us in great detail all the problems of moving to a new country. On the whole I really enjoyed it. Its not laugh out loud funny but you will understand the frustrations of the author as the book go on .
on 27 April 2017
Both my son and I enjoyed a good read.
on 9 March 2017
easy to use and works well
on 2 May 2017
It's OK just about sums it up.
For some one who has been writing for the DIY/Lifestyle market I would have expected the man to have had a bit more knowledge than he he seems to have had.
Story lines are left hanging and I've always found that a little irritating such as the mystery pond, the fate of the dodgy Farmer etc - so that's why I've only given 3 stars and not 4
on 16 May 2015
I really did not like the author's style of writing. Interesting content but WAY too convoluted in his minute description of every little thing. Found it so difficult to get through.
on 7 October 2013
As we are in the process of purchasing a property in the Limousin reagion I was curious to read this book and find out what it is really like. This is an entertaining read while also being educational about life in the rural villages and the various rules and regulations. All round a great read.
on 2 October 2014
Some good parts in the story but not that entertaining...
on 18 December 2014
Having lived in rural Limousin it brought back memories of our time there. The slow pace of change, the inquisitive neighbours, the tiny parcels of land and the red tape, all wrapped up in this true to life, very readable book. If you are thinking of moving to France, do read this, it highlights the highs, lows and frustrations of restoring a building in the countryside. Above all, don't be put off, we loved every minute and the way of life.
on 25 October 2014
detailed down to earth reflection on life in rural France. An excellent read having contemplated for some years our like for rural France and its idiosyncratic ways we will again explore Limoges area for a potential move. Thank you