Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2013
I enjoyed Rose en Marche (yes, I know there are accents missing!) but this next in the series was a bit more pedestrian and I couldn't help thinking that Peter Mayle had already done the "building in Provence" theme though his was renovation rather than a new house if my memory serves me correctly. Interesting comments re the French health service but I found the truffle hunting theme less than riveting. Still worth a read, however.
on 5 April 2013
Read the first few pages of this when short listing some books for my wife's Kindle and mentally noted it seemed worth a few more hours.

Several months later I got round to reading it and enjoyed it so much (very rare .... only Michael Wright normally gets that accolade for descriptions of Gallic life) I've hardly put it down. Never understood the fascination with either the taste or the hunt for truffles ..... I am now much wiser. And it's a very good book regardless of your fungal persuasions.
on 8 November 2012
A real "feel good" read with heartwarming stories of Provencal life. We live in Provence in the Luberon too and pretty much every story touched a chord with us. Well written and not too formulaic in its approach to the yarns. Very good indeed please do write some more!
on 7 February 2013
Super, descriptive account of life in real France. The writer has a talent for making words come to life and one can be transported instantly to Provence and all those magical characteristics that make it so appealing for many. I'm loving reading this one!
on 14 June 2015
Really enjoyed this book. Gave you a realistic picture of life in France, the importance of speaking the language before you embark on such an adventure and the shear determination of the couple to make a life for themselves there. Other books I have read about living abroad, often romanticise the experience. I felt this gave me a truer picture.
on 17 August 2012
This is a very lovely little book - especially if you are interested in cooking and truffles! I read it whilst travelling in the South of France which was most appropriate. I would recommend it as light relief.
on 3 February 2014
Although I am vegan and knew Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog contained many detailed descriptions of meat dishes, I wanted to continue reading this beautifully written, wonderful story told with such humour and joy.
I love the brilliant way the author describes each character so you actually feel as if you are living in this village in Provence.
Jamie Ivey has become one of my favourite authors...my only other favourite author is Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, the author of The Most Beautiful Book in the World.
I am looking forward to enjoying more books written by Jamie Ivey.
on 3 September 2014
As a regular visitor to Provence I am familiar with many of the villages visited by Jamie. His descriptions of the local markets and vide greniers left me thinking "oh yes i remember that". An easy and pleasurable read - most enjoyable. I will definitely look for his other books to read on my Kindle.
on 22 August 2013
I loved this book and did not want it to end. I have read all Jamie Ivey's books and this is the best one, in my opinion. The reason I like this book better is the true life descriptions of Provencal people and the area from a British point of view. Jamie's escapades and the tales of his family life are told with a very dry sense of humour combined with an exceptional writing talent.

I hope we will one day soon be able to read the next instalment of the family saga!
on 20 July 2013
I found this an easy read which I steadily enjoyed more as the story unfolded. I have always harboured a secret wish to live in France and I salute anyone who has suceeded with an equal amount of envy!. Gentle and descriptive, a pleasurable read.