Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 October 2011
....must have made it very difficult to decide what to include and what to omit. Politics and politicians are generally not held in the highest of esteem by Joe Public, because of a reputation of being self-serving, and mendacious. Whether this reputation is deserved or otherwise is debatable but is is widespread and, therefore leads to the public's insatiable desire to hear or read cynical quips and quotes that mock, malign, or lampoon this much derided 'calling' and its practitioners. Aesop shared this cynicism and mused that "We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."

I have upwards of 40 or so various books of wit, wisdom, insults, quotes and quips many of which contain sections on politics and politicians, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find that an awful lot of the material in "Political Wit" by Steven Gauge, was new to me partly, maybe because some of the quotes are right up to almost the present time. For example John Prescott is quoted as saying "The green belt is a Labour achievement and we intend to build on it." And what could be pertinent to certain ex-PM's was said by Philander Chase Johnson "Politics is the art of turning influence into affluence."

This is a first class collection, much of which has a direct reference to current affairs and the state of the world today such as "Recession is when you have to tighten the belt. Depression is where there is no belt to tighten. We are probably in the next degree of collapse when there are no trousers as such." Although Boris Parkin said this about Russia in 1992, it was prescient of the dire economic circumstances in 2011.
on 27 January 2012
An amusing book containing many witty quips and comments made by polititians. A lot of the comments have never reached the public before and it's refreshing to know that some of those who would govern us do have a sense of humour! It's a useful 'coffee table' book that can be dipped into for a few minutes and then put down until the next time.
on 29 December 2013
My 16 year old grandson who wants to go into politics found it very amusing and said it will be useful in his school debates for quotes. I read some of it myself on Christmas Day and laughed out loud.
on 14 December 2015
Bought as stocking filler for my son who studies politics at uni. Some interesting quotes - I think he will enjoy it
on 14 December 2015
I'm not politically minded, but even I laughed at the little I read. He'll love it
on 1 May 2016
great gift for politicos 'some new anecdotes for me.
on 17 January 2016
Wish I had thought of some of the quips!
on 20 November 2014
Bought for a friend who enjoyed it very much
on 18 August 2014