on 5 August 2015
This book works best as an account of family life under pressure (where is is generally entertaining and insightful) rather than as a travelogue of the UK, where it can be a little cursory. There seemed to me a bit of a mismatch between the larky "this hilarious book" descriptions of it and the often not-very-hilarious contents. As someone deliberately choosing light-hearted books to read because I have terminal cancer, I was disconcerted to find that this book contains a long, grim description of someone dying of cancer. There was nothing to warn me that this would be the case, and frankly it was hard going.
on 30 May 2015
Absolutely loved this book, great humour and superb anecdotes abound in this tale of a family making a journey that throws up many incidents beyond their control, Ben's kidney stone! The other thread of story which is painfully honest and heart warming is the Father/ Son relationship, coming to terms with the death of a parent related here is so true, impossible not to cry. Excellent book and have recommended it to friends and relatives.
on 1 August 2017
A really enjoyable book with some real laugh out loud moments but also a few incredibly sad moments. Ben's dad sounds like he was a fabulous character and I loved the T shirt moment. I've now downloaded another of his books
on 7 July 2015
What a wonderfully written book this is about family life and a journey around the Uk. Loved the descriptions of plces visited . having lived in Scotland I knew a lot of those places !!! Also as it started in Hove/ Brighton this was brilliant as I lived here for 2 years doing my nurse training!
It was very funny , sad and just a lovely book, thank you Ben for writing this!
on 23 April 2016
Loved this book a tale of a man and his young family travelling around Britain trying to compile a travel guide really funny and a heart felt story.
Well worth a read you wont be disappointed.
on 27 August 2016
Fabulous book, well written! Moments I shared when my children were little. Not just a travel guide, funny too, feel i know this family!
on 5 July 2015
Disappointing. Narrative lacks coherence and continuity. Some humorous incidents that are well-written, but tedious in the main.
on 6 December 2017
Not as funny as expected
on 4 July 2015
Could I mange to take 2 kids on a round Britain road trip?Probably not,if only half of what went on in this book happened to me.Easy to get into,enjoyable a good read for the holidays.
on 13 May 2015
Made me laugh and cry. Liked it so much that I have bought a paperback copy for my Mum. She hasn't learned to text, so she is definitely not ready for a kindle yet. Highly recommended. :)