on 12 September 2016
Easy and relaxing read...... Having come from very close to Hull I could have showed so much more of its hidden treasures ' the old town' for a start.... Wherever you go its the people who really make the difference and generally speaking Hull folk are unpretentious mild manered.... If Slough industrial estate where they make Mars Bard could be recreated in Hull then I think it would 'bloody ace'! Ps
I also think we should be calling in
Kingston-upon-Hull
on 11 January 2014
If there are places you would never think of visiting, read this book and think again. I have to say I doubt that I wold choose to holiday in any of them, but a day or two might be possible. I know Hull quite well and was impressed by its sympathetic treatment. The people make the place, plus of course, its history and industries which are in many cases fascinating in themselves. It also has some culture, an excellent art gallery, a museum that does a good job of making anyone think twice about whaling and slavery and theatres. The other places are given similar treatmeant and perhaps in the coure of time I might get round to seeing them in real life. I would never have thought about them before.
on 12 July 2014
I love Tom Chesshyre's books! This was the first one I read (I think it was the first one he published), and made me mad keen to go to Londonderry for a while after reading it. Sadly I think I lent it to someone and it hasn't come back, so I can't remember exactly all the places he wrote about, but the premise was that he travelled to some of the most unloved parts of Britain and as I remember, he was pretty positive in general. I thought very fondly of this book when Hull was named as UK City of Culture recently. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in Britain or travel writing, and will have to buy myself another copy!
on 6 May 2011
This is an entertaining and funny journey around the more unfashionable towns of the UK and Tom is a funny guy to accompany around his explorations of these places. This book has inspired me to check out a couple of these destinations myself (Norwich & Derry & Hull in particular). I know Salford which he visits in the book and he really captured how the City is really trying to reinvent itself -it does have incredible bits of regeneration Salford Quays/Media City with areas of poverty but it is trying to improve. If you do decide to visit I can recommend the Chapel Street area and its pubs & Salford Quays to any visitor.
One person found this helpful
on 11 October 2015
Interesting book as ever from Tom Chesshyre
on 16 November 2014
A fun concept and enjoyable book
on 11 August 2016
Great
on 25 August 2015
Great read, reminds me of Bill Bryson
on 25 October 2012
A disappointing and boring book, there is no humour, it appears through the numerous meetings that the author has arranged that the unsung towns & citoes have asked to promote themselves via this book, the authors wife, and to large degree the author himself, is a sheltered Londoner - the world does not end at the M25 you know. And are the Scilly Isles off the tourist track, I think not.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2010
Slough, Croydon or Coventry wouldn't be many people's idea of places to go for a holiday. Travel writer Tom Chesshyre thought differently though and over a series of weekends he visited these and eight other destinations within the British Isles that are well away from the tourist trail.

He finds that whilst these destinations may be at best unfashionable or at worst salubrious (and even a little dangerous)each has something good to offer that makes them well worth a visit. He finds for example, that Port Talbot, which is dominated by its steelworks, may not have a pretty face but if you look closer you will find acres of forests that have become a haven for mountain bikers. Similarly Coventry's once historic city centre may have been blighted by war-time bombs but he finds that the new Cathedral is a breathtakingly beautiful building.

I enjoyed this book and was particularly impressed by Tom Chesshyres writing. Whilst not trying to amusing he was able to bring out the humour of the situations that he found himself him. He also appears to be a fair writer, never exaggerating the downsides of the locations he visited nor does he overdo his praise when he discovers the upside. Many times when reading travel writing I have a strong suspicion that some of the events that are being related are embellished to make for a more interesting read; I never thought that whilst reading this book though.

I have visited practically all of the cities in this book and, to be truthful, disliked most of them. After reading To Hull and Back though I am inspired to pay them all another visit.
8 people found this helpful