Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2015
I am glad that I read this book but it was a bit of a tiring process to read. It seems like the publishers had a plan for the outline of the book but refused to rethink that outline when it became clear that there was a lot of repetition. For example, there is a whole chapter on Customising a Theme (and sub-theming) which is followed by another chapter on Creating a New Theme yet, a large part of which involves sub-theming. I feel like we went over the same conceptual building blocks again and again even though an average reader would have understood them quite quickly.

There far were more spelling and grammatical mistakes than the average book on software. I stumbled upon two mistakes on page 2, then two more mistakes on page 3 - so the writing was a little clumsy.

There was quite a lot of missing information. By page 70 I was wondering when we were going to discover how the output was escaped in Drupal. There was no mention of this basic security practice at all in the book. I also felt like the author skipped over discussing aspects of the Drupal API that were pertinent to theming.

Having said all of that, the book is still worth reading. I hope the publishers make a follow-up called Drupal 8 Themes in which they have de-duplicated the repeated concepts.
on 18 December 2011
It has a good introduction to themes in Drupal. If you want to know how to modify the existing theme or even create you own theme then this book explain it well. The only downside in drupal in general is that creating your own theme from scratch requires knowing drupal APIs very well which can be painful.
on 25 July 2012
A very good introduction to Drupal 7 theming. It's written in a clear and logical style. I found it very helpful when I started with Drupal theming; I still use it as a reference.

I'd go as far as to say it's one of the three essential books when learning Drupal (along with Using Drupal (from O'Reilly) and Drupal 7 Module Development (also from Packt).