on 4 January 2017
Really enjoying both reading and following this book. It's easy to understand and follow all advice. Recipes so far have been delicious and I don't feel like I'm on a really restrictive diet which is refreshing. Dr Xand's writing style is also unique - I've never laughed out loud at a diet book before that's for sure!
on 8 January 2017
A very well written book from someone that really knows how difficult it is to lose weight and get healthy. I have tried to diet previously but always lost interest in the meal choices or felt too hungry between meals and tended to fall off the wagon after a week or two. The recipes in this book are all easy to follow and very tasty, portion sizes are larger than I expected from a diet too! It's fun to follow and I'm enjoying my time in the kitchen preparing meals, I really look forward to making a new meal every day. Suggested ingredients are easily available at a supermarket and not expensive, (many are storecupboard basics). You can choose to have 1, 2 or 3 meals a day to fit in with any lifestyle and there are a lot of tasty yet healthy snack choices available. I highly recommend this book to everyone that would like to lose weight and eat a healthier diet.
review image review image review image review image
on 9 January 2017
Really easy to read with straightforward advice delivered with humour. Lovely easy to cook recipes.
Actually looking forward to following this way of eating which is cheap and unpretentious too.
on 5 January 2017
Gorgeous easy recipes and tons of good advice - nicely written not preachy. This is a diet I can stick to.
on 2 January 2017
There is nothing new here, unless you have never tried to lose weight before or have suddenly developed an interest in healthy eating. It does lay out the (very) basic information in a way which is easy to read and understand and there are some recipes which sound nice. There are lots of irritations though - the book seems a bit rushed. So with the recipes, for example, it gives oven temperatures but I can't see whether these are for a fan oven or need to be adjusted. And other irritations - for example, calorie information is given (useful) but take the recipe for Spinach Masala Omelette: it serves two with 154 calories per portion. However, the total recipe uses 4 eggs, and according to my box of eggs, one egg has 78 calories, which means the 2 eggs per portion would be 156 calories even without the other ingredients?? It also mentions "knobs" of butter - again ??? It would have been better to put 10 grams or 20 grams or whatever, as even a small amount of butter is high in calories and using too big a "knob" could significantly alter the calorie count. I found the advice on carbs confusing and contradictory. E.g, "if you take the bread, beans and ketchup out of a fried breakfast, it's a pretty healthy meal". All the other advice around suggests beans are one of the foods we should definitely be eating more of! Also, it says to weigh leftovers for lunch the next day, but what should they weigh? And it talks about being aware of calories but gives no calorie information for some of the dips etc. I read lots of these books, and don't normally do reviews, but as there were no other reviews to guide me on this, I bought it to see for myself. So, Dr. Xand, this could have been better, although I will try some of the recipes.
66 Comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2017
Finally a non-condescending diet book that doesn't run rings around you and make you feel demoralised before you even start. I've lost 0.4kg in 2 days and I'm not even hungry. The recipes I've made so far have been super delicious and easy too. I will definitely update this in a month or so.
on 14 January 2017
I have been watching the tv programme every week and have thought that a lot of the diets are a bit of a quick fix diet. After reading this book, I realise that I am eating fairly healthily but need to do more exercise and watch the alcohol intake. I can't wait to try the recipes in this book as they all sound delicious.
on 13 January 2017
This is the best - and believe me, I own scores - achievable diet book EVER. I'm officially adopting Xand.
on 7 January 2017
Love the book..very funny in parts. Dr xand lives in the real world with the rest of us. No gimmicks and no special equipment needed. A knife and a pan and a bowl are how specialist it gets.
Veggie options and veggie sides look yummy.
You need to work out before you start the diet how many calories you need a day - which can easily be done by googling it and then you just cut that amount by however many calories, I'm halving my to begin with.
There are 3 meal plan choices... which I reckon would suit everyone.
He's made things simple .... if you are like me, utterly confused about what to eat, low carb , low fat, this is a good book, it made dieting simple again.
I never write book reviews but this book enthused Me and I'm starting tomorrow.
on 8 January 2017
I've been following it for a week and the recipes are nice and I've lost 3kg which obviously is good but what is really annoying is the calorie and serving size information is rubbish! Two examples - the fruit crumble says it serves 2, with 319 calories per serving where in fact the recipe has about 2000 calories (1000 per serving!!)

Same with granola, it says it serves 2 but the recipe has thousands of calories.

So the calorie information for these two is meaningless as the book doesn't state the serving size.

Also no calorie info on the salad dressings The Dijon Dressing has 6tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp honey, so if that's 2 servings that's a lot of extra calories

Update...I've just made the pork and fennel meat balls. The book says it four servings but it's two.