Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is essentially a Low GI recipe book, but the author takes a different approach of not listing all the types of carbs, but instead banishing "white carbs" - as good a shorthand for the naughty stuff as you will find - and using other stuff to fill those gaps. Oddly enough the most useful section I found was the one on using different purées to replace the High GI crack of mashed taters. I found the two test recipes I did worked well, even with me substituting where I felt like it. A sensible no-nonsense book for folks who only have time to cook not bone up on the GI details. We'll overlook the occasional naughty carrot and beetroot.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This a well laid out colourful book. There is an introduction explaining all the info about carbs you need to know without being to in depth.
Each recipe has a colour photo so you know what it should look like.
There are some tasty recipes such as,lamb shank and fig tagline,piri piri chicken,tuna fish cakes, roast bloody Mary tomato soup, soft eggs with smokey baked beans,peanut butter and jam puddings, rhubarb and apple crumble,almond and blueberry pancakes.
These are the ones top of my list. There are also a lot of recipes using lentils, beans couscous,
quinoa and chickpeas.
If you want to cut down the carbs and try some new foods and recipes then this is for you,unfortuanatly I don't really like beans and pulses and there are quite a few recipes using these.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 September 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was interested in this book as its a recipe book to help you cut down on carbs (not eliminate them completely). The first thing that sticks out is that this is essentially a recipe book for people that follow the Low GI diet. The book itself is pretty well laid out and the pictures accompany each recipe. However my main sticking point was that I didn't find many recipes that I wanted to cook. There are already plenty of books that cover similar recipes (some of which can be found for free). Nothing too original and it certainly didn't make me want to rush into the kitchen and start cooking!
on 22 September 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This books contains lots of decent low card recipes. I have tried quite a few and I didn’t really feel like I was missing out.

I do think that “white Carbs” is a bit of a typical faddish diet hype but lowering Carbs will help you to lose weight as it is an easy way to lower calories.

It is very easy to eat large amounts of rice, bread, potatoes and pasta

This is a lot more inventive than other low carbohydrate/calorie cookbooks that I have seen.

The recipes are generally easy to follow.

Recommended
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am constantly on the "qui vive" for interesting, well written and illustrated cookery books that will help me to maintain the weight loss I have recently succeeded in achieving. Like the writer of this book, I, too, had come to rely too much on bread, white rice and pasta - even more than potatoes - to form the basis of meals but it isn't necessary to rely on high carbohydrate foods to eat satisfyingly and healthily and "Cut the Carbs!" is certainly one of the books I have added to my arsenal of weapons against food boredom and the temptation to fall back into "a deep and dark carb hole". There are sections here to cover all meals. My favourite recipe in the breakfast section has to be the "Chia Bircher Muesli" (p.22) as this can be made the day before and refrigerated so that the chia seeds swell nicely and, if you haven't met chia seeds before, you're in for a treat. The "Black Forest slow Granola Parfaits" (p.30) are good enough to serve as a dessert and any breakfast composed of the recipes in this section would be a feast fit for a king! The section on soups is inspiring. These soups are my kind of soup: "I'm not talking about meek broths. I'm talking about chunky, hearty bowls of sustenance. The sort which, while you eat them with a spoon, keeping a fork nearby won't seem like complete folly." What I like to call "souperoles" - half soup, half casserole!! Filling but not fattening, high nutrient but low calorie. The "Turkish Red Lentil Soup" is so easy to make and the "Ribollita" is a souperole par excellence :-) Skipping on lightly past the too-good-to-miss "Bloody Mary Tomato Soup" and the refreshing "Chilled White Bean, Cucumber, Mint and Yoghurt Soup" we arrive at "Interesting Sides & Salads (Filling Enough to Feed a 6'3" Man)" and I'm instantly in love with "Savoury Baked Apples with Goats' Curd and Parma Ham". Who said baked apples had to be stuffed with raisins, sugar, butter and cinnamon? These innovative savoury stuffed apples are a meal in themselves served with a good green salad. There is so much of innovative thinking and imaginative flavour combining in this book: "Lean Summer Feasts" introduces you to "Thai Green Papaya Salad with Trout" and no, there are no noodles in it! How about "Prawn, Avocado and Edamame Salad" - I can get edamame beans reasonably easily now. I found, when I was in the process of losing three and a half stone of unwanted weight, that the key to staying on track for the twelve months that it took me to succeed was not getting bored with the range of foods I was eating and this is exactly the kind of book that helped me succeed and will continue to help me keep off the dreaded pounds. I heartily recommend this book. It will not just keep you interested in what is on your plate, you will begin to feel a gain in energy and vitality as a result of not consuming white carbohydrates. Needless to say, the book is beautifully presented with tempting illustrations and clear instructions. There are relatively few foods that are not easily available (I have yet to find a source of Ajvar - a Balkan roasted pepper and garlic relish - but I'll get there or make it myself!) and no recipe is so complicated that it is outside the capabilities of home cooks.
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Possibly the best recipe book I have found that deals with the real life issue of cutting out and/or replacing carbs. Having grown up with the Carb being centre stage in all my favourite meals I have found it difficult to find meals I enjoy without getting boring and repetitive in the realm of salads or soup. This book wins me over by recognising this and providing meal options that retain the old feel of past favourites while adding in carb replacements - mashed butter bean colcannon for example is a revelation.

The layout and presentation of the book is excellent, the descriptions and instructions are conversational but also clear and easy to follow and the pictures are appetising.

I especially liked the introduction where the carb replacements were laid out and discussed up front so that you had a better understanding of what was being used and why rather than suddenly be hit by the emergence of Chia Seeds in a recipe and being left floundering.

My criticisms of it are it feels like while striving to get to 100 recipes some desperation entries made it - I can't justify a recipe for soft boiled eggs and replacing toast for asparagus spears as being a valuable addition to my repertoire.

If you are looking to try more meals without carbs and want something normal still - buy this book.
on 26 July 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm currently following a carb counting diet so was particularly interested to see the recipes in this book, the type of which there aren't enough of, in my opinion. There are 100 recipes, divided into breakfasts, light snacks, soups, sides and salads, lean summer feasts, comfort food and puddings.

The book is illustrated with mouth-watering photographs and the instructions are clear - some include cooking tips and tips on where to find the ingredients. One or two of the ingredients are unknown to me (eg chia seeds), but as the author has lived in London, they should be easy to find in the UK. Pulses feature heavily, as does chickpea flour and quinoa.

The recipes are not very low carb (some include bananas, which are 40 carbs on the online carb counter I use), so if you are carb counting it might be worth checking the carb count for some ingredients. Happily, often the same ingredients appear in different recipes, so the type of wastage that you get if you buy something that is only used once and then has to be thrown out because it sits in your cupboard unused until it's gone past its expiry date, is largely avoided.

I'm looking forward to working my way through the recipes and trying some new ingredients.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved the photography and straight forward receipes in this book. Its real "healthy eating" not faddy dieting. Most recipes would be adaptable to whatever diet you are on. Recommended for anyone wanting to clean up their eating but confused about what to replace the junk with
on 12 August 2014
Fantastic recipes. Healthy and low cal. Recommended.
on 14 July 2014
This book has been a real blessing. Great recipes which are healthy but actually leave you feeling full and happy. Has helped me avoid my usual winter extra kilos.