on 19 April 2014
I first came across Stephanie Dosen through her blog Tiny Owl Knits [...] which I heartily recommend if you want to get a taste of her style. I was delighted when she published this book and spent some of my birthday amazon voucher on it.

Stephanie has a very chatty and enthusiastic style and not only are her designs stunning, but the patterns and instructions are easy to follow. I would have liked to see some kind of alternative yarn information given as on occasion I have had problems sourcing the exact yarns she recommends with the patterns but not many books do this and as I'm quite capable of looking things up on the internet and doing my own weight and yardage comparisons this wasn't enough for me to give less than 5 stars. Someone new to knitting might not be quite so au fait but the information is out there. Newbies just be aware that yardage/metreage is just as important to note as tension,yarn weight and needle size when sourcing alternatives!

I can't say I'll be making every pattern in the book (don't quite see myself in fairy wings!) but I will be making enough to more than justify the cost of the book. I'm starting with Mr Fox Stole My Heart because I fell in love with this when I first saw it on her blog, but if you want something smaller or simpler then there is plenty of choice.

To be honest I wouldn't say this was a book for beginners simply because most of the patterns will require a certain amount of experience but there is a handy experience level indicated with each pattern so you can see how difficult or easy you may find it. For inspiration, though, this book can't be faulted and anyone who either likes a fun knit for themselves or other adults, or has children or teenagers to knit for, I don't think you can go wrong.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2015
Interesting and quirky patterns with, unfortunately, some crocheted aspects, and I just have never learned how to crochet; shame on me! I might make an effort to learn, as am dying to make the violet hand muff (or 'puff' as Steph calls it). Not sure about the fairie wings though. I can just imagine happening upon the local hunt whilst trundling through the wood wearing those. Would certainly cement my reputation for eccentricity...
on 15 March 2018
Lovely book with well written patterns. I've bought it before and gave it my friend As she loved it so much. It's quite compact, so it fits well into a knitting bag which is handy As many of the projects are accessories that you may be knitting on the go!
on 22 March 2014
This great book has easy to follow patterns with wonderful fairytale woodland themes. The little deer hat, pictured on the front cover, and the seed pod bag are seriously cute. There's a beautiful tiny violets hand puff, knitted fairy wings, woodland hoodlet, scarves, mitts, hats, everything you could need to finish off your own fairytale outfit. The Midsummer Nights Dream hat is simply stunning. So many wonderful things to make...I'm starting with the Dragon Watchers Hood!!! Highly recommended. I showed the book to some knitter friends and two ordered it that same day!
on 26 December 2013
Quirky book of odd knitting patterns which delighted my wife and formed the basis of a fair number of unusual hand knitted Christmas presents which were well received. Some of the patterns were a bit ambiguous which might cause novice knitters a few problems, but otherwie would recommend it for anyone looking for odd animal influenced designs. The front covers says it all!
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2014
This book is beautifully laid out..I loved the woodland colour in the pages. There are some very cute patterns I love all the patterns especially the kitten hand warmers & the violet hand puff so lovely. It would make a very nice gift too..
One person found this helpful
on 24 November 2013
Some lovely projects but the back-stories behind them didn't interest me. They may be fascinating for other knitters but I was only interested in the patterns. Very inventive and charming they are too.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 May 2018
One of my favourite patterns books - definitely enchanting I have knitted several!
Easy to follow instructions and lovely illustrations.
on 4 April 2014
A beautiful book, well laid out with clear instructions and an explanation of substituting yarns at the back. I'm knitting one of the scarves and can't wait to make the fawn poncho and bear jumper - stunning and original designs. I went on to purchase more patterns separately from her website as they are so easy to follow.

You won't be disappointed if you buy this book.
One person found this helpful
on 4 April 2015
I love this creative and whimsical book. I've made several of the patterns and they turn out wonderfully and are fun to make. I hope there's another volume of quirky patterns to follow! Wonderful!