Customer reviews

The Belle & Boo Book of Craft: 25 Enchanting Projects to Make for Children
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2014
This has been the best craft book that I've ever purchased! The projects are quite simple, as the instructions are incredibly clear and easy to follow. Each project has a cutting list, then step-by-step instructions that are accompanied by photographs. I'm still at starter level, in regards to my sewing. It has been great for boosting my confidence, and has enabled me to try projects beyond my level. The results from each project has been very pleasing to my friends and family too!! The projects are just magical! There are so many different things to make, ranging from knitting, crocheting, papercraft, sewing and soap making. There are some that your children can get involved with too. It has become a firm favourite in our home. So much so I have purchased a second copy for a family member. The book itself is of a beautiful quality, the pages are adorned with good old fashioned style Belle and Boo images that inspire lovely memories from my own childhood. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to make items for children!
on 10 July 2013
I have to be honest (it's a curse don't you know ;-P) and tell you that I had never heard of Belle and Boo until I saw this book. My daughter is 10 now and much more likely to be found reading a novel to herself than enjoying a picture book! But it's seems that Belle and Boo are more than story book characters: these nostalgic little illustrations have leant themselves to fabric, tea sets and party goods to name but a few. Clearly this mum of a pre-teen, has been left out of the loop!

This is a book of crafts that relate to the Belle and Boo illustrations but of course, they can all be adapted and although the book is clearly aimed at younger children (the mittens pattern only goes up to age 7), there are some projects that would appeal to an older child. Crafts feature felts, embroidery, sewn items and papercraft to name but a few. So while our house has little use for the darling fabric book...we are quite taken with the lolly shaped soaps.

If you have a child under the age of 6 or work with young children, then this book is an absolute must. It's pleasingly laid out, with large images and uncluttered pages. The instructions are some of the clearest I have seen and it's just so cute! Beautiful photographs are intertwined with Mandy Sutcliffe's gloriously nostalgic illustrations and the style is consistent throughout the whole book.
on 8 September 2013
You have probably already come across the adorable Belle & Boo illustrations. The little girl (Belle) and her pet rabbit Boo can be found on a range of stationery, homewares and clothing. This book continues the style of those products with the cute Belle & Boo illustrations throughout the book.

The book contains 25 projects for younger children (under 8 I would say), some sewing projects, paper crafts, knitting and soap making. The majority are sewing projects, many of which are aimed at beginners. There is a good mix of both projects for boys and girls. My 5 year old son has already requested the explorer's satchel and pirate play tent! Other projects in include a beanbag, tooth fairy pillow, nature walk bunting, soft toy Boo, beret and mittens, lollipop soaps and a patchwork bedcover.

The instructions are mainly text with the odd photo of certain stages which are best demonstrated visually. There is a brief guide to the hand stitches you need in the back of the book. There are also templates for the projects at the back, around half are full sized but the rest need enlarging by up to 350%.

I think there are bound to be several projects in this book that children would love you to make for them.

This review also appears on The Sewing Directory
on 29 December 2013
With the advantage of being able to look inside c/o Amazon, I was able to clearly see contents and examples of projects etc, so won't provide a list here. It is a book of projects not just a reader, so don't buy if you are not going to craft or build. A quality product in the style of B&B so will last, nicely presented throughout with the gorgeous pictures and words. Some projects more complex than others but that is to be expected, it's a craft book so may not suit all, so look at contents and decide. It won't be on sale for ever, so mine is an investment for Goddaughter, who has very crafty family who will enjoy doing many of these projects over the next few years. So look inside c/o of Amazon and decide for yourself, I love it but that is because It is a deliberate purchase for crafty sewing and woodworking family who will love the projects.
on 12 September 2013
I was really excited to purchase this book to make things for my daughter. I love the tooth fairy pillow, the camera bag and and the Boo template but don't see myself realistically making anything else from this book. The project I was most interested in requires multiple pieces of the Belle and Boo 'classic' fabric and I believe it would be useful to either sell with a fabric piece or to supply a link to download the graphics at home to print on your own fabric. Other than that, I really do love the book. I love the matte pages and the heavy paper stock used to produce the book... makes for a nice feel in your hands! Definitely will look nice in the crafting library!
on 9 October 2013
There are some fantastic projects in this book, and I have already completed a couple, but some of them are so difficult/time consuming, I would need to have started 6 months ago to get something made for my grandson. Perhaps I am just not up to it, but I know I won't make the larger pieces. The photographs are really lovely and having gone on to look up the Belle & Boo website and found the fabulous fabrics which are used in this book, I am tempted to buy the fabric - although it is pricey. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crafting handmade items as there is a good range of things to do.
on 6 August 2013
Saw a project from this book in recent Sew Magazine and thought it looked amazing - sadly that project was probably the best one. Some projects for very young children and I wished I paid heed to someone else review that mentioned this. Its a lot of money for 25 projects. If you're looking for a projects book get the 101 sew a metre book 2. I ordered this and am preparing to start a project instantly.
on 29 February 2016
This is such a gorgeous book I can't tell you how much I enjoy just looking at it- the instructions are fine if you are not new to sewing but it is so lovely it really is
on 11 July 2013
The Belle and Boo book of craft is packed full of stunning projects to make heirloom pieces for children. It's definitely aimed at young children I'd say from about 2-7 when they're really developing their imaginations! Some of my favourite projects are the explorer satchel because not only is cute, but also useful! I love the pirate tent which uses a kitchen table as it's base (great for when you haven't got loads of space!). So far I've just made Boo for my daughter and found the instructions really clear and easy to follow. For the price it's really good value for money, the projects are varied and things I know my children will treasure, oh and it also has projects boys will like to (a bugbear of craft books!).
on 21 May 2014
Some gorgeous projects to make for the special child in your life. This book is presented beautifully. A few projects do require some basic embroidery skill but all are achievable. In most craft books I find a few projects I would like to make, in this one I want to make almost all of them.