Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2011
Another pretty Cath Kidston book for your collection. I ordered this on advance order to obtain the lower price, and was refunded the difference as is has since gone down a £1 Thanks Amazon!
The book is called Patch which implies patchwork, but this includes basic aplique methods also. If you are looking for a patchwork manual then this is not your book, and I would go you Jane Brocket's Gentle Art of Quilt making book. However most purchasers of this book are dye in the wool Cath Kidston fans and are adding to their collection which I have done. As usual lovely illustrations using some vintage fabrics, and the free kit included which consists of calico fabric and a selection of small CK fabrics to make a cushion of a shopper bag make this book a steal at £8.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2011
Another fantastic addition to Cath Kidston's ever increasing library of needlework books. This book concentrates on Patchwork and includes a fantastic free gift with which you have all the materials to make either the bag or cushion as shown on the front cover.

Patchwork, the art of sewing together cut pieces of material to create a larger design, is become more popular again and can be done using pieces of fabric cut from old clothes, fabrics etc and can be used to decorate no end of projects.

As with all Cath Kidston books, this book begins with a great chapter entitled Basics. There is a page detailing essential equipment; what should be inside a work box, the essentials and the other bits and pieces which will make the job easier; two pages detail the basics for cutting out 'patches', with hints and tips for using templates, using rotary cutters and planing your patches. There is a page on using sewing machines for patchwork and also hand sewing basics with some great pictures accompanying the text. The rest of this section looks at traditional techniques, four of which are discussed in the book; hand applique and the use of embellishments on your designs. How to choose fabrics is discussed in this chapter along with instructions for hand embroidery stitches.

There are over 30 projects included in the book, with lots of photographs for inspiration all using Cath's gorgeous fabrics. The projects are for a range of abilities, some for the novice whereas others may need a higher level of experience to complete. There are a number of bags; tote, messanger, knitting and wash bags; cushions; bedcovers, including blankets, bedcovers; beanbag covers; pincushions; pictures and decorating clothes. There are projects suitable for many different ages and their are ideas suitable for presents. There are traditional designs along with many modern, contemporary designs but the beauty of patchwork is that the overall look of a project can be changed by the fabrics used. All templates needed for the projects are included in the back of the book ready to be photocopied.

The projects all have a complete material list, along with a list of items to be cut out. Each project also has a skill level displayed at the start of the project and a general description of the project, along with ideas for patches or ideas for choosing suitable fabrics. For many of the projects there are drawn pictures showing layouts of patches/pieces of fabric or how to do certain techniques for the projects.

I have found lots of projects that I would love to have a go at from the book and will be on the hunt for suitable fabrics to have a go with!

This would make a great gift idea for needlework or patchwork lovers. It is suitable for novices or more experienced crafters as there are projects suitable for all levels to try. With the added bonus of the materials needed for one project included in the book, a crafter can get started straight away.
on 18 October 2011
Received this book yesterday, have been eagerly awaiting because I loved "stitch" so much, I was dissapointed with this, I felt it was just an updated version of "Make", it didn't really show you much about Patchwork and I understand that the other books cover the basics too but I felt the projects were a little lame, The bunny blanket was cute but just applique really!! and I really didn't like the puff necklace.. I also feel that the book should say what fabrics are being used, I have just bought a similar book by another well known company (Liberty) and although the projects were simple they told you what fabrics were used.. I am finding that the books by Cath Kidston alot of the fabrics used are unavailable to purchase which is a bit of a let down, which leads to my earlier gripe about the lack of imagination when it comes to boys fabrics..I adore CK but not happy with this one!
on 15 October 2011
My copy arrived just this morning (much to my excitement!), so whilst I have read the book - I haven't made anything from it - so can't comment on the directions etc.

The style of the book is very much the same as 'Sew' and 'stitch', with nice pictures but rather annoyingly white text on pastel coloured pages.

I am a relative newcomer to patchwork, and feel I could tackle all of the projects in the book. My criticism would be that there are too many patterns for tote bags! Also bear in mind this seems to be more for small projects, if you're planning on making a quilt for instance this won't help - there is nothing about wadding or binding etc.

However, there is just something about the Cath Kidston books I love, plus there are some good ideas, for example a tablecloth made from teatowels (although not sure how much patchwork skill that really takes...)
on 26 October 2011
I'm a big fan of Cath Kidston prints and fabrics and have purchased previous titles as gifts for family members. I'm more of a knitter and crocheter but this book has allowed me to try out a new craft with enough detail for me to follow the instructions easily.

The pack included with the book allows beginners like me to try out the techniques with no additional investment in costly materials. I found the instructions easy to follow and like how the kit can be used to make either a tote bag or a cushion.

There are 30 projects in total which cater for 3 different skill levels. A nice way for a beginner to progress through to some of the more difficult/advanced techniques.

Many of the projects are able to be made using scraps of fabrics, so maybe a more advanced patchworker could put it to great use in using up some of their stash offcuts.
on 10 December 2011
I recieved this book today expecting to find inspiration and something new. The materials are of course lovely and having been through the book feel that is about the limit to any interest it may hold. I bought it as it was reduced and came with a kit, which I shall make, but the book is VERY basic and certainly not inspirational. I would advise anyone who has any experience in patchwork not to buy it. You will have seen it all before and your stitching will be far superior to the untidy amateurish looking stitchery in this book. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a review. I have bought many patchwork type books in the past and have been delighted with them all. I will not be buying or recommending any of her books in the future unless seen first.
on 5 November 2011
I eagerly awaited the publication of this book, and as a bit of a novice quilter, I'd hoped that it would provide a bit of inspiration. I love Cath Kidston and the way that she combines vintage with modern styles. This book is beautifully put-together, with lots of easy projects and fairly good instructions if you're new to patchwork. I also like the fact that she uses fabrics other than her own (which can be a bit expensive). However, it is very similar to her previous books and does not, rather disappointingly, cover quilt designs or techniques. It also contains an alarming number of typos, which does leave one wondering whether it was proofed just a little too quickly in order to publish in time for the Christmas rush.

So, if you're a fan of Cath Kidston, it's probably worth buying, but if you're looking for new patchwork projects and quilt designs, I agree with previous reviews that there are much better books available.
on 20 October 2011
I've been sewing for years so I'm not really looking for a book on technique which is where this book is rather lightweight, but as an introduction for those not wanting to invest much money in a craft they just want to try out or a good stocking filler for the novice sewer it is a good buy. That said, I must confess I buy these books for the project as they are such good value for money, rather than having to buy fat quarters or remnants which can get quite pricey. The book itself contains some fairly straightforward and fun projects, with good photography. However some of these are a little too cutesy for me, but would make nice stocking fillers or bazaar stall makes.
on 1 March 2013
Lovely projects in this book, and lots I would like to make but don't let the advertised "free needle case" sway you as it's a piece of shaped card with a few needles inside and useless. Very annoyed as this type of "dishonest" advertising really infuriates me!!
on 16 October 2013
This book is horrible! The pictures of scrappy collections of fabric showing frayed edges instead of artistically (or even tidily arranged) are enough to make me want to give up sewing!
As for the projects?? Well if Cath Kidson is an expert nowadays I hate to think what her earlier efforts were like... with obvious stitching on show in the illustrations... I would be embarrassed to present these to a friend never mind put them in a book and hope to sell it (which I unfortunately bought!)
As for making a tablecloth out of old (and very obvious tea towels!!) is she having a laugh? Who is that hard up? You could buy a nicer tablecloth for a couple of quid in a supermarket and save yourself all the bother!
NOT happy with purchase but am keeping it to give my friends a laugh at the 'sew'-called Cath Kidson vintage projects within!