Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2015
I bought this book to have a first attempt at making sushi rolls for Japanese dinner parties. My first and subsequent attempts have all been very successful. The instructions are really easy to follow and the ingredient amounts are exact. The photography is lovely too although my first rolls didn't look quite like the ones in the book! Now I have improved vastly and Sushi Slim has got plenty for every level of expertise. Now I am adicted to making my own sushi
VINE VOICEon 25 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really fantastic book- almost like the tardis of cooking books. It looks small & implies its about sushi but inside it contains masses of clearly explained information about Japanese cooking and its culture.
The book itself is as clearly laid out and presented as a bento box- well designed, illustrated , fresh and clean.

Not only does it give you details of why sushi is a benefit to weight loss- due to smaller portions, ingredients and portion control but it explains the whole cooking and presentation process. You want to know how to cut meat & vegetables- its tell you how. How to make sushi- no problems, plus miso soup, Japanese omelettes , perfect rice - everything you could want to know and skills you would love to learn are here.

Plus they taste great- I have made hosomoki avocado and chilli rols for my friends ( I SO impressed them ), chicken and ginger teriyaki and edamene rice.
The ingredients were fine to find at my local Japanese food store- unlike my previous wagamaana cook book.

Overall Im hugely impressed- the book title is misleading- yes it will help you with weight issues- but even if your looking for a fantastic book about Japanese cooking this is for you too.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Personally I have always enjoyed the pleasures of Japanese food and one of my fondest memories is of eating sushi tuna for breakfast in a small café by the fish market in Tokyo and having the subtleties of each variety explained to me. Mind the meal for two did come to over £300, but that`s another story.

This is a slim, but excellent book on Japanese cuisine. Starting with the background to Japanese meals, it explains the major differences as compared to a Western diet and the rather startling results which are that the average Japanese daily calorie intake is about 1,000 less than in the USA, and, not surprisingly, obesity rates are less than 10% of the rather frightening rates in America. This is followed by some suggested low calorie meals as part of the Sushi Slim Meal Plan.

There follows, what for me was the most interesting part of the book, which is a step by step guide to preparing the main Japanese dishes - Maki and California rolls, Nigiri and other delights. Although I enjoy Japanese food, I have never thought to try to prepare it myself, but armed with this volume it became apparent that producing my own sushi was really not impossible task I had assumed. This really is a step by step guide which takes you through all the stages such as how to cook sushi rice, how to cut the vegetables and fish, how to choose the fish etc. There is an extensive collection of recipes, most of which are not overly demanding and which include the, normally very modest, calorie count.

If you are interested in producing your own Japanese cuisine I heartily recommend this impressive little book. Having read through it I could not wait to get started!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this free through the Amazon Vine Programme.

This is a good book, with thorough, practical tips for amateur Sushi making.

The book is nicely presented, with beautiful - but achieveable-feeling - photos.

I don't know that the slimming side of the book is necessarily the best focal point: to me, this feels like a somewhat arbitrary imposition leading the book at times into unnecessary posturing.

Sushi represents a good, healthy choice that's doing diners and the planet a favour in stepping away from meat. It's an interesting, subtle form of cookery and the book is written in an engaging and thoroughly authentic style.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 February 2014
Colourful
=========
The pictures that accompany each recipe are lovely. You can almost taste them on the page.

Yummy
=====
I've tried quite a few of the recipes and each one has been really easy to follow and really tasty.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
========================
For a change the attempts at the recipes looked broadly like the pictures in the book. Normally I can follow a recipe and although it can taste ok, it often doesn't resemble what in the book. But the beauty of making sushi is it looks as beautiful as on the page.

Recommended
===========
Healthier and tastier than many cookbooks. So yes!

bon appétit!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love Japanese food for being clean, healthy and filling - but am not quite sure that I'm ready to start making my own sushi just yet. That said, there are plenty of other great recipes in this book from the basics like sushi rice, pickles and Japanese omelettes, to variations on miso soup and some interesting salads.

My favourites, though, are the lovely bento boxes. Sadly my morning commute is such a scrum on the Central Line that I'm not sure a packed lunch would survive, but they're also perfect for quick, healthy dinners, and very impressive when served up to friends who loved the sweet chilli prawns, tofu in wasabi dressing, and soba noodle salad.

If you do want to try your hand at hosomaki rolls or more advanced sushi, the instructions are clear and illustrated - and there are vegetarian hosomaki options like grilled asparagus, avocado and chilli, and green bean and miso.

The book itself has a `clean' feel to it and almost all the recipes are illustrated in colour. So a book of nicely adventurous yet relatively simple recipes that suit my tastes perfectly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 January 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love the concept of this book, which is a celebration of the low fat, and healthy sushi.

As an interesting book about sushi it works

As a beautiful book about sushi it works (wonderful images)

As an inspiring book about sushi it works

But I am not sure, love sushi as I do, that I could ever loose weight with sushi.

However I am delighted to have been sent this book to review, it is a most interesting read and well worth the the money as a book about sushi, not sure about the slim bit though...
on 23 November 2015
I adore this book. I visited Japan this year for the first time and fell in love with the food. I even became obsessed with the traditional Japanese breakfast – which Makiko shares how to make!

There's an inherent Japanese simplicity to this book. It's not your heavy, hardback recipe compendium with a 20-page introduction and hundreds of recipes, but simply a tightly and expertly curated selection of healthy Japanese food – some traditional, some really inventive – with precise, step-by-step instructions and beautiful photography.

When making sushi, the photo instructions are invaluable. Makiko does an incredible job of making the prospect of sushi rolling (and even holding a sushi party) seem possible, fun and easy. I was completely inspired to buy the ingredients and have a go.

The weight control angle is an interesting twist, but she's really hit on something. Never had I felt so healthy, light and full as when I was eating around Japan. We could all do with bringing some Japanese food philosophy into our Western lives.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sushi Slim is a a nicely put together book and it makes a convincing case that a Japanese diet, with Sushi at the centre of it will contribute to weight loss and help to keep it off. I think that it is well accepted that the Japanese diet is a good one and eating with chopsticks slows down the rate at which food is consumed, itself a factor in eating less and feeling fulller. There is a short section on ingredients and some menu plans with calorific content for each meal. Instruction on how to prepare the ingredients and how to cut vegetables and fish is well illustrated and suitably informative, as are the instructions on how to make sushi traditionally and more modern versions: all of the illustrations are of a high quality and in colour. There is a section on sushi diner parties, including instructions on how to make a range of yet more sushi, followed by a section on soups and salads. There is variation, attractive and healthy food, beatifully photographed and then a section on the Japanese lunchboox using just 500 calories and then there is still more with some high end sushi, to impress. At the same time as the book is stylish, it is also restrained and most carefully arranged - very Japanese, I suppose and I would love to make most of the sushi recipes that the book contains. However, you would spend an awful lot of time making sushi on a daily basis, making it a good recipe book, but not so great as a manual for dieting on a daily basis. Nevertheless, it is a fantastic book to learn how to make a wide range of great sushi that can help with a broader calorie controlled diet: in this respect , it is a good book to get.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like Japanese food and also would like to stay slim, then this is an interesting concept. The book is well presented with some very nice photographs of the food and plenty of photographic instructions on how make sushi and bento. The dishes are calorie counted to if you fancy following the diet plan. If you fancy trying your hand at either following the diet plan or even fancy trying to make some of the recipes, then some of the ingredients seem available in larger supermarket specialist food sections.

There are plenty of recipes to choose from, not only sushi, but soups such as 'collagen soup' (which is just chicken broth) and 'face lift in a bowl' (grouper fish soup) which are 'beautifying soups' - interesting concept, though there does not seem to be any scientific references to back up some of the claims in the book - it feels like the writer is basing this on perhaps traditional folklore rationale? However, the soups tried are quite tasty and there are some really good bento recipes and combinations and easy to follow the sushi making techniques. The fact that the recipes and portion sizes are calorie counted, and if you do follow a restricted calorie diet, then this might work. However, there are some interesting concepts and healthy recipes that are worth trying, with plenty of useful tips - including being able to batch make your sushi and freezing it in small portions and also ideas of sushi parties for when you are not on a diet and just fancy trying out something different.