Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 December 2012
I like this book, there are quite a few simple traditional recipes in it, but a few different ones as well.
I agree with other reviewers in thinking this was slightly cobbled together for the christmas period. In the awkward annoying font that is quite difficult to read at the start of each recipe he says of the treacle glazed salmon 'the only other thing I use treacle for is sticky toffee pudding' a few pages later is a recipe for.... treacle glazed ham hocks! Which he serves in his restaurant! Also in one recipe he says to use 2 Tbsp madras curry powder. No mention is made of the much later recipe which tells you how to make your own curry powder as bought ones vary- just a bit of lazy editing. The constant references to his childhood, grans cooking and tuck shops is a bit cloying and could easily have been written by a ghost writer for him to sign off after a cursory glance.
Having said that I do like it and plan to make a lot of the recipes. I have already made the squash and almond soup (delicious) and am making a jam roly poly, it's that sort of book. I am also looking forward to the braised salsify in oil as I grow it on my allotment and hav'nt found a good way of cooking it yet. For under a tenner why not?
on 23 March 2014
These are great recipes! The blurb may say to dust off the slow cooker but there is also a clear instruction to let your OVEN do the work. The slow food philosophy was also mentioned, which does not necessitate ownership of a slow cooker; I have done slow cooking for years without one. I am not giving five stars because I agree that there could be some consideration for beginners who want to use a slow cooker, perhaps a chapter explaining how to adapt recipes? A more experienced cook should be able to do this for themselves.
on 28 December 2013
Bought this as a present for a member of my family. A bit disappointed as it suggests slow cooking without using the slow cooker and what I was after was a book on using the slow cooker. The product summary give the impression that the book was for slow cookers; a bit misleading.
on 30 January 2014
There are some very nice recipes in this book but I do have two major issues.

1) Slow - Not Slow Cooker. The recipes are designed for oven cooking (although slow cooker is mentioned at the start) and not for use with slow cooker. This I feel is misleading but OK, there are some good tips and a number of recipes are transferable with a little imagination.

2) It's almost unreadable - This is really unforgivable. The font on a lot of the instructions are a kind of mashed stylised bold italic (see the word 'Slow' on the cover - where you can't read the end bit of the 'w' so it looks like Slou - that but much much smaller) paragraphs of the stuff, and when written in white on a light brown background, it is just just awful. Terrible to read normally, bl**dy awful with flour covered hands in a busy kitchen.

There's some good recipes here, some interesting tips, but blimey they make you work to get them.
on 20 January 2014
Would give it no stars if an option. The book is unreadable on kindle and shows no sign of having been formatted for a kindle. Small print size and in large blocks of text across the pages. Increasing text size on kindle means you cannot read across a full line of text or down from line to line as normal. The many black and white photos add nothing to the text. I would not recommend this kindle version.
on 26 February 2014
I was under the impression this was recipes for a Slow Cooker, which I love due to full time working. This is NOT however for a slow cooker, it is just recipes for 'slow cooking', so I was very disappointed with this book. I will try and adapt some recipes to go in the slow cooker though.
on 19 January 2014
I purchased the Kindle version of this book, and cannot comment on the content as it is well night unreadable on my paperwhite. The pages are in very light greyscale (not back on white) and formatted such as to be almost illegible on my Kindle Paperwhite.

"No problems" thought I - easy to download on my tablet or laptop, the pages probably have a coloured background and will be more legible, only to find Amazon blocks me from downloading the item I have purchased on the laptop or my tablet with a message "This item is not available for this device"

Do not purchase on the Kindle is my advice. Sadly, I cannot comment on the book James has published, much as I would like to, as I cannot read it!
on 27 December 2012
You may associate the words 'Slow Cooking' with using a slow cooker. James Martin even suggests you dust yours off at the start of the book. That's the last mention. Every recipe is cooked in the oven or on the hob ... gobbling up expensive gas or electricity for a couple of hours and involving the cook hanging around to give things a stir or add further ingredients at a later stage. Not at all what I was expecting.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2012
Great fan of James Martin and have his books and use lots of his recipes to which gives me lots of compliments.But I do not like this book at all. For slow cooking I was looking for an everyday cooking ,to either put in slow cooker or to time in oven for coming home from work to feed my family, These are not recipes that you would use for coming in from work. It is also nothing like mother or grandmothers recipes to which it claims.I was so so disapointed in this book, that I would not recomend it to anyone.

Regards
Lynne
on 13 November 2012
I got given a copy of this recently (by my mother who loves James and Saturday Morning Kitchen!) and I have used this so often already! It doesn't claim to be anything other than simple recipes for people who want to leave something in the oven and then eat something really tasty. I tried the lamb in hay for a dinner party to impress and it was seriously easy and everyone thought it was something really diffirent! I can't recommend this highly enough that this book is very simple, yet every recipe is full of flavour and impresses everyone. The chicken with chorizo and that stuff he chops up to put on top of a simple roast chicken, is one of the best roasts I've had in a long time! Buy, chose recipe, get stuff, shove in a oven and enjoy!