Customer reviews

Boutique Baking: Delectable Cakes, Cupcakes and Teatime Treats
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 May 2012
Peggy Porschen sets a really high standard for cake making and decorating. She makes cakes for the rich and famous and her cakes and sugar craft goods are works of art, and beautifully executed. She must have really high standards because her work is so perfect.

This book follows the same high Peggy standards of perfection but I felt these recipes were more achievable for a home baker. There are lots of really tasty recipes here and this book is not just about cake decorating its about taste.

The chapters cover sweet treats, cup cakes, decorated biscuits, classic cakes and larger cakes including layer cakes that would suit a celebratory event. I didn't think the designs were hard to pull off and any instructions needed for piping etc were really clear with photographs to help. Icing cakes has its own chapter.

The photography in this book is of a high standard and includes photographs taken in the Peggy Porschen parlour in London.

There is even a chapter on drinks!

I made the banana, walnut and chocolate loaf cake. It was a lovely light cake packed full of the flavours, the added touch of toasting the walnuts and finishing the cake with a banana cream frosting worked a treat. This was more of any everyday type of bake which anyone can make at home but I don't think people expect to find in Peggy's books but they really are there and taste delicious too!
on 3 May 2012
What a fantastic book...simple recipes which are easily acheivable and require no obscure ingredients. Peggy recommends her own jams in some recipes...these are available on her website or they can just as easily be substituted with any jam. The whole book is flawlessly executed & well presented with pictures to accompany each recipe. There are the more adventurous cakes however, which will require some skill & more time (the Raspberry & Rose Dome Cake for example) but again, Peggy provides step by step pictures to help you. I would recommend this book for both the novice & more accomplished baker. I seriously can't wait to get stuck in!
on 17 July 2012
Exquisitely beautiful book and well-explained, and if they taste as good as the lovely cakes in Peggy Porschen's gorgeous pink shop, they'll be wonderful. Only wish I had the opportunity (and skill) to make fabulous layer cakes, but I will be trying the banana cake and some of the drinks.
I'm also admiring the lovely vintage china that sets off the cakes.
(Incidentally, if anybody is in London, tea and cake at the little pink shop isn't nearly as dear as you might think ... hardly more expensive than any run-of-the-mill, overpriced museum cafe. (ie the ubiquitous, dreary Peyton&Byrne)
on 2 September 2013
One of the main reasons I bought this book was the fact that the cupcake recipes made 24 rather than the usual 12. However, I started with the vanilla cupcakes yesterday and only got 12 from the recipe. I now have to buy more ingredients to make another 12 and use up the bowl full of icing I still have left over! Having said that the cakes were delicious. Another small thing is that you have to flip back and forth for some recipes between the ingredients page and the method which definitely slows you down.
on 25 June 2012
This is a really lovely book,lovely recipes thoughtfully put together with good instructions.A mix of both cakes we all know and love and some new ones as well,also has a lovely chapter on drinks to.So get baking and get the girls around for a lovely afternoon tea and gossip how much better could your day possibly get......maybe buy another one of Peggy Porschens stunning books.
on 27 May 2012
I love all of Peggy Porschen's books & this one is fabulous. As other reviewers have said this one differs, as it focuses more on the recipes & the baking (rather than the decorating). The names of the cakes sound so yummy e.g. strawberry champagne cupcakes, sticky toffee cupcakes, marshmallow puffs & morello cherry Bakewell tarts & the photographs are beautiful. It's such a hard decision knowing which recipe to try first...
on 18 June 2012
This book is beautiful, the photography is fantastic. What I liked about it is I'll actually bake something from this one, not "just" pick it up and sign at the loveliness of the cakes inside when looking for a little inspiration. Shows you how to produce lovely recipes and present them in a swankier way than just your average brownie/cupcake/traybake/pastry - some of the loveliest recipes look stunningly beautiful when posed by Ms Porschen. So a useful cookbook, not just the lovely cakes to look at as usual - these ones look like you could do them without 10yrs of cake decorating experience and lots of practice... which as we know, lots of makes perfect - these wouldn't be so labour intensive as the larger more delicate cakes from her earlier books.

It also shows you in photographs how to ice some of the smaller flowers = maybe there could be a couple of photos extra for this section, but they do make it look a little easier!
on 1 May 2012
I just got my copy today and I have to say it is amazing! I love it all, the photos, the recipes, all! If you are a fan of Peggy's work or even if you are into baking this book is fabulous! :D
on 13 August 2014
I love this book. I am a keen baker, and I found that I learnt more from this book than any other recipe book I have previously owned (and I have a lot). I was lucky as I bought this book from a work book club for £5, so it was completely worth it. I can understand other people's comments about being a little repetitive, but every cake I have made from this book has been absolutely delicious.
I have never really been into cupcakes, but this book has restored my faith! The Banoffee cupcakes I made went down a storm and indeed are the talk of the town. Personally it's my most treasured book. I am looking to purchase other Peggy Porschen books as I ike her style.
on 29 April 2012
Every so often, a book is released that gives me butterflies when I read it. I knew it would be amazing. Peggy has a baby pink shop. We were always going to get on.
Peggy Porschen moved to England from Germany in 1998 to study at the famous Le Cordon Bleu cookery school. In 2003, she opened her boutique bakery, Peggy Porschen in Belgravia, London. She boasts a wealth of 'A Listers' as customers, including Kate Moss, Elton John, Stella McCartney and Sting.
The outside of her shop echos the pretty delights on offer in her book. Recipes range from the most intricate creations on Earth (which I admit... give me the collie-wobbles) down to easy to master biscuits which can be made to look like a masterpiece with the right techniques. Peggy's step-by-step approach, and easy to follow instructions make even the most complicated methods achievable.
I loved this book because it's well balanced; cupcakes, layer cakes, biscuits, meringues, tarts, cake pops and... bundts. You know I had to. I decided to tackle the Neapolitan Marble Cake. Pretty as a picture! OCD kicked in... would I get the swirls to look like Peggy's without it all mixing together? I know bundts. I know how they think. This was a really good recipe test as they are something I make regularly.
It worked a ruddy dream. One of my favourite cakes ever. Ever ever. It came out of the tin just as easily as my firmer bundt type cakes, and the 'swirl' was as desired. Perfect.
The cake was great too. Even my husband (totally NOT a cake face like me) loved it. Light as fairy fluff but still with that signature crisp bundt base.
This book will be one of my favourites for years to come. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'll also be paying her a visit the next time I'm in London...
[...]