on 1 March 2017
I bought this because it was on the recommended reading list for my first year of university - I'm now in my third year and I've got nothing useful out of it. It's quite pretentious, and the language is just a little too flowery for my liking. It's a book for reading all the way through, which is fine, but I wouldn't recommend this for students due to the lack of index, and vague contents page. There are far better books on poetry out there.
on 20 December 2012
Which, since I'm an English graduate and former teacher, and most of the poems he takes his examples from are very familiar to me, is saying a good deal. I don't think I've ever read anything which so clearly distinguishes how the experience of both reading and writing poetry differs from other kinds of aesthetic experience. And also a lot of it is very funny: it's a creative work in its own right. I think anyone seriously interested in poetry should buy it.
on 28 January 2016
Glyn Maxwell writes with wit and serious wisdom about the art of contemporary poetry. If you're looking for a beginner's book to explain the craft, this is not it; it's a slightly exasperated but always entertaining manifesto for Maxwell. But if you read contemporary poetry, this may illuminate your reading and help you to put your finger on what defines success or pretension.
on 15 October 2012
Inspiring to a young poet. Engrossing for an older reader of poetry. Uses great examples of old and modern classic poems. There was a good review in the Guardian which led us to it. Very good on the 'black' and 'white' of a poem; spaces, pauses, line breaks, punctuation, structure generally. His playful tone and use of a metaphorical tutorial group to demonstrate different styles and approaches was entertaining to us, although some people might find it odd.
on 22 March 2014
Maxwell takes you on an intuitive journey through poetry. I think I have learnt more through this book than all those how to books out there
on 9 February 2016
Bought as a present
A must for aspiring writers or poets
on 16 January 2015
Beautifully written and inspiring. I wanted to start reading it again once I'd finished it. only chapter I didn't like was the last where he seemed to wander through his writing class not being very clear about what was happening.
on 11 November 2013
I bought this as present for my mother. She loves it and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived from amazon. It was on time for her birthday.
on 27 October 2017
very good
on 22 August 2015
'Very accessible with rich language. I found that I could not put it down. Educational and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Quite a number of gems scattered throughout the work.