Customer reviews

on 17 July 2013
This is one of the debuts I was really excited about for 2013, when I first heard about the concept I knew it was something I would probably really enjoy. Within the first few pages I knew I’d been right – I sat down to read just a few pages and the next thing I knew the afternoon was gone and I’d reached the last page.

The story is a really good thriller with cleverly created time-travel elements. I’m a big fan of time-travel stories, but they can make me feel a bit like my head’s spinning – particularly when you start to get into the area of paradoxes and the like. In Sorrowline the time-travel is handled really well, it all makes sense and the questions that arise during the book are answered and in a way that fits well with the plot.

The thriller aspect of the plot is also well developed, at times there is a real sense of peril for the main characters and I felt as I read like my heart was in my mouth! Despite the book having the time-travel element there is never the feeling that it must turn out alright because this the story is happening in the past, a couple of times I found myself wondering how the future might unravel if things went so very wrong.

The main three characters, Jack, Davy and Eloise are all brilliant, but I have to admit to having a favourite and that was Eloise. She’s such a great female character, what we know of her origin story is fascinating and her actions throughout the story made me love her.

I really loved this book, I’m very pleased that there is a teaser snippet included at the end for the next book in the series, Timesmith, I’m already looking forward to reading it even if there is a whole year to wait!
on 6 November 2017
Amazingly twisty and turny time travel adventure. The sorrowlines are a brilliant idea and the story thunders on at a cracking pace. I've already got the next one, ready to read!
on 20 February 2013
Having finished the book, my overall impression is that it's the start of an exciting series that will just get better & better as the plot & concepts develop. Time travel has had many outings in books, TV series & movies, but Bushnell takes a fresh approach both in his means of time travel (only some can do it, and they travel through gravestones to the time of the departed's death) and by breaking the golden rule: you must never come face to face with your younger/older self! (The mind boggles as you try to imagine how this will affect the characters' progress through the series).

I admit to some reservations after reading the prologue (which reads like a sci-fi novel), but as I continued, I realised how it fit into the greater plot. Like many debut authors, Bushnell is a little too fond of adverbs and adjectives and sometimes I longed for a red pen to cross some out, but the writing becomes more self-assured as I progressed (or perhaps the plot is so exciting that I didn't notice it any more!).

This is definitely worth a read, and I'm already looking forward to the next instalment.
on 14 February 2013
Having not read a kid's book since I was... well a kid I suppose, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Perhaps something overly simplistic - dumbed down for the Hollyoaks crowd. Or missing every other vowel, if my sixteen year old son's literary skills are anything to go by. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The plot and premise are deliciously complex, involving (quite unconventional) time travel and some very deep emotional journeys that make the fastidiously modelled cast of characters very engaging. Despite the labyrinthine notion of tangling the threads of history, and the weird but totally believable otherworldly mythology, Niel does a great job of keeping the reader steady on their feet, building the tension with every chapter.

What I liked the most though, was that he never once underestimated his audience. The only evidence that this is a book written for teenagers is the fact that you don't need a thesaurus sitting open next to you while you read it, which is very satisfying. I'm also a big fan the whole death and afterlife thing, which is explored beautifully without ever slipping into cheap sentimentality.
on 12 January 2013
This is my Nephew Niel's first published novel and I thouroughly enjoyed it. I know it is intended for a younger audience, but it still had me intrigued from the start. Congratulations and well done Niel, I'm looking forward to "The Timesmith" with anticipation!
on 8 January 2014
The narrative is clear and exciting, the plot unique (as far as I know) and the pace fast. I absolutely loved this book and, though I am older than the age group it is aimed at, cannot wait for its sequel. I can't see how anyone would be disappointed if looking to buy this book.
on 31 January 2013
What a fantastic book. The story draws you in and you can't put it down. Read into the early hours to finish this and can't wait for the next one in the series.
on 6 May 2016
A brilliant adventure packed book, full of surprises. I never put it down! I would recommend it for 11-12yr olds or advanced reading 10 yr olds like me! Can't wait to get the sequel! Hannah (aged 10).
on 23 February 2014
A good book with action at every corner! Some great twists, perhaps a little too complicated for younger children :) a good storyline with infinite possibilities!
on 31 May 2014
Loved it had to finish the book to see what happened. Family have read it to praise for Neil bushnells first book.