on 9 February 2016
Basically a tale of neglect. Bernard repeatedly tries and fails to get his parents attention and ends up being consumed by a monster in his own back garden. The monster trashes Bernard's house, bites Bernard's dad and then goes to sleep in Bernard's bed while his oblivious neglectful parents fail to notice their son is missing. If this were a real situation, social services would have a field day and Bernard's parents would be in serious trouble. My son enjoys it though for some reason. Talking of my son, .... I haven't seen him around the house in quite a while actually...
on 16 October 2017
Didn't realise until adulthood that it has two levels.. As a child I always took it literally, that a monster ate Bernard but his parents still didn't notice or care. I only recently realised it can also be a metaphor, and that Bernard becomes 'a monster' in his increasingly desperate attempts to get his parents' attention. Love it.
on 11 December 2015
Not my favourite book to read, just beacuse it is so short and rather an odd story, which if you read deeply between the lines is a very strange story about some pretty awful parents.

My son loves it though and reads it to himself.
on 18 February 2018
Just as i remembered it from years ago
on 22 June 2017
Classic tale of parents who ignore their children at their peril
on 14 May 2017
An old favourite about parents who are too busy. We love the illustrations and the way the 'Monster' gets used to it too!
on 8 January 2018
Perfect kids gift
on 26 July 2017
My kid loves this book and I have gladly read it nightly for the last year. It's a cautionary tale relating to the lack of actively parenting, the impact it has on a child's behaviour and told in a simple way. Love it !
on 19 November 2017
A childhood favourite of mine that i have bought for my son it looks great
on 16 September 2015
A children's classic which children in my school loved as did my own kids and now my grandchildren. Can't believe it's been in print for such a long time.