Customer reviews

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2012
This is an intriguing picture book for an older child or adult. I have the portfolio edition and every picture would be worth framing but where it really comes into its own is as a teaching resource.
I'm a supply teacher and this book has already become an essential part of my supply bag. The pictures, titles and captions inspire wonderful speaking and listening,imaginative thought and sensitive art work. My pupils love working with this book and so do I. If I had one class full time I think we could base and entire half-terms' literacy, art, DT and music on this book and never get bored.
Children today often find it difficult to relax and use their imaginations (too much tv, too many computer games, too worried about wrong answers)but this book inspires them.
on 19 June 1998
I noticed this book is recommended for ages 4-8. My 10-year old son, who normally reads adult sci-fi fantasy by the likes of Piers Anthony and David Eddings, found this book in his school library last year and fell in love with it! It's so much more than just a book. The pictures are so rich and full of detail, your child (and maybe even you!) will sit for hours making up stories to match the mysteries. If you're looking for an educational gift that's not too "nerdy", this is the book to buy.
on 4 June 2017
Fantastic book for initiating creative writing in KS1 & KS2 children.
on 17 September 2017
Wonderful for stimulating storytelling in kids.
on 2 April 2017
A series of interesting pictures. Good for discussion or writing prompts.
on 15 September 1998
The illustrations are so captivating and evocative that even the most die-hard non-creative has to start using the right brain. I've used this book as a tool to jump-start creative brainstorming sessions as well as a tool to teach creative writing to adults.
on 23 April 2017
Beautiful
on 7 October 1998
I bought this book a few years ago, when I was 22. It is a fantastic vehicle for imagination. I was drawn in immediately by the eerie drawings and mysterious captions. Brilliant. Edward Gorey fans take notice.
on 7 January 1999
I am 21 years old and could not be more excited to find this book again! My uncle read to me and my cousins all the time when we were children. This book along with The Polar Express, The Wreck of the Zephyr, and Jumanji became one of our favorites! I had no idea until now that they were all the same author. The Mysteries of Harris Burdick was especially fascinating. Because only pictures with captions are provided we gazed at this book for hours, imagining all the possibilities. I strongly urge parents to buy this book and others by Van Allsburg. I feel that they all encourage reading, and this book in particular encourages the imagination. Though I haven't seen or read his books in years, I still remember them as if I read them yesterday.
on 26 November 2000
the pictures in this book have given me the inspiration for sixteen different short stories that i have written. the introduction tells of the strange way in which the author came to be in possesion of the brilliant drawings and they simply make your imagination wander.