Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 April 2013
In Making It Home, we meet three women, who are all different but find a friendship in each other. They also find they have one thing in common: they want more from life. Can Kate, Phyllis and Naomi be happy with the life they have? Or can they find the courage to reach out for something more?

I really liked this book! One of the things I liked most about Making It Home is that Christine has created three women who could be our best friend, neighbour, aunt and so on. The characters aren't perfect women with flawless make up and rich husbands, instead they are real, true-to life women that all of the ladies out there will be able to relate to, and that is what makes this story so compelling to read! Personally I love when an author writes about real women, about the struggles and problems that real women may face everyday, and creates realistic scenarios that could be exactly like what the readers could be going through. I am certain readers will be able to relate to Kate, Phyllis and Naomi in some way, whether it is their personalities, their individual situations or the friendship that these characters have with each other.

The characters were very well-drawn and written, I loved the friendship and the bond that the three women created with each other, ad I enjoyed reading and watching this friendship grow throughout the book. I was hooked to the characters individual stories and set of circumstances, I desperately wanted to know how they would progress and on many occasions I was cheering them on from my seat! I liked all three of the main characters but my favourite was Kate.

The novel unfolds at a great pace and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to read this. Making It Home is an absorbing and compelling story about three women, the friendship they strike up, the journey to discover meaning in their life, and knowing that support, love and friendship can be found when you least expect it!
on 20 February 2014
Kate and her husband have grown so far apart that living in the same house is becoming intolerable. At the department store where Kate works, she feels drawn to two customers who have both taken retail therapy to potentially unhealthy lengths. However, while elderly Phyllis can easily afford it, vulnerable Naomi cannot. How can these very different women help each other?

I really enjoyed the way in which author brings the women together and describes their developing friendship. They don’t become best buddies in a simple linear way. Their false starts and awkward moments reveal the complexity of friendships. While I was intrigued to discover the reasons behind Phyllis’ benevolence and Naomi’s isolation and depression, it was Kate’s story that really gripped me.

In the same way as she describes Kate’s friendships, the author shies away from simplifying her fragile marriage. We learn how she met her husband, the years of miscommunication, silences and rows, through to Kate’s current fears about her husband’s early retirement. The author then delves deeper with the portrayal of Kate’s husband who begins as a bit of a caricature, and slowly emerges as someone struggling to find himself, just as much as Kate is trying to find herself. The scenes where he reads a beautiful book he finds in the summer house, and the roles both the summer house and the book play in the story, are so poignant.

The theme of home is woven throughout the story in subtle, unusual and satisfying ways.

There is a gentleness, warmth and piercing honesty in Christine Campbell’s writing that both comforts and makes you think.
on 2 March 2015
The “dream lives” Kate makes up about customers and acts out to amuse colleagues at the department store where she works are clever, and they lead to her meeting first, lonely Phyllis, and then troubled Naomi. After that the pace is disappointingly slow. Kate’s boring marriage to Dan does change, but he, and the rest of her family, are left cardboard caricatures for too long. This story is based on an interesting idea but fails to deliver.
on 9 August 2009
This is a story about the emotional journeys of three women, of different ages and circumstances and shows the joy of friendship across the generations. It's also about learning to love life, and the steps, sometimes big, sometimes small that lead to that.

It has one or two dark moments and deals with age-old relationship problems as well as the fairly modern phenomenon of shopping addiction. Something many will relate to in these credit-crunch times.

I enjoyed this book very much - didn't want to put it down. I found it uplifting and thought-provoking. Look forward to reading more from this author.
on 23 October 2015
Three women, Kate, Phyllis, and Naomi, who at the beginning of the book don't know each other, face the kind of problems women are likely to have in life. Christine creates characters and a well interwoven plot that drew me in; seeing how these women help each other survive and overcome their difficulties kept me fascinated until the end. An enjoyable and absorbing read.
on 30 May 2013
I loved this story, some bits fitted into my life and the ending was warm and cosy, a really good book.
on 29 November 2013
Love all her novels. Happy customer.
on 11 February 2015