VINE VOICEon 15 December 2017
Posthumous novels can be SO frustrating either because they are not quite the finished article or, as in this case, because it is SO BRILLIANT that you crave more - and that can never be. This, the third in the trilogy from Larsson is as enthralling as the first two and holds the reader's attention throughout, so much so that I dared hardly blink lest I missed something.

A lot of the contents are extremely unsettling and those of you who remember Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (the first in the trilogy) will understand that this author certainly pulls no punches but never resorts to gratuitous language for its own sake. He describes to us, his readers, a tough world, a VERY tough world and the heroes and heroines are not perfect human beings but they do have saving graces and, without giving away the twists and turns of the plot, each development held my full attention.

I am sure that other reviews have been written extolling the virtues of the author and this book but if you haven't read them or indeed his books, do yourself a big favour and read them just as soon as you can. Hold on to your hat and 'enjoy' superb writing.
on 18 May 2017
I'm only about 1/4 into this book, but really enjoying it. The author keeps up a great pace throughout, and I'd have to agree with a previous reviewer that you want to read these books in great big greedy chunks, and have to forcibly remind yourself to work/eat/talk to the family!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how this concludes, especially since I've also got 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' lined up........ If you enjoy reading action stories with good cerebral content, you will definitely enjoy this series of books.
on 20 October 2017
I read this trilogy back to back and have rarely enjoyed such an exciting a fast paced set if novels. Page turners from get go to finish. Although the reader may want to see what develops, my personal view was please don't end.
What a loss this novelist is to world class novel writing. The translation from Swedish to English is seamless. The reader can choose to ignore all but the more important place names without losing any enjoyment of the story.
on 17 December 2017
In this third volume in the Millennium series, Stieg Larsson takes the action up a level by introducing a develish conspiracy reaching up to the highest ranks of Swedish society. The author's alter ego, an invesitgative journalist, is soon on the trail, but as in the earlier books it is the anti-social and possibly autistic brilliant young hacker Lisbeth Salander, who is the star. The plot is vauntingly ambitious but is effectively carried off. This was Larsson's swan-song, though he did not live long enough to hear the chorus of praise across the world. Gripping from start to finish. Simply, a triumph.
on 6 September 2013
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest completes the Salander/Blomqvist trilogy and draws the strands together. While it isn't essential to have read The Girl Who Played With Fire or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a new reader may find some of the plot a little baffling in the early stages if they haven't, before the back stories start to kick in.

Salander is to stand trial for attempted murder, GBH and other things, and a secretive group in the Secuurity Police would rather that didn't happen. Once again Salander's friends are needed to help her despite herself. This time she is severely hampered by being locked up in a hospital for much of the story. A lot of the plot relies on Salander's computer hacking skills, and were it not for those the story just wouldn't work as the secrets couldn't otherwise be exposed. One can only hope that there aren't too many real Salanders out there reading our computer hard drives and e-mails (or is it all just bunkum?).

The problem of too much unnecessary detail and too much repetition that I identified in The Girl Who Played With Fire are repeated here so grit your teeth if you, like me, find that annoying.

The story reaches its climax in a courtroom drama, or does it? There is one loose end to tie up, which Larson does by way of an epilogue.

There is one major flaw in this book. A sub plot involving Erika Berger, Blomqvist's part time lover and Editor-in-Chief at Millennium magazine. It adds nothing to the story and serves only as a distraction. I guess Larsson had some purpose in telling it, but I'm baffled by what that might be. If you skip through it you won't miss anything important.

It is a pity that Stieg Larsson died before his books were published. Had he lived he might have read the proofs and decided to make a few changes for the better. However, once I started reading I couldn't help but staying to the final full stop.
on 25 April 2016
A direct follow-on from The Girl Who Played with Fire, which I would recommend reading first. A very large number of people and places with Swedish names to remember. I would suggest writing them down, with their associations, to refer back to - unless you have a Kindle or a photographic memory. Larssons characters and his descriptions make the reader feel part of the book with a relationship with the characters and places. The plot is intricate but exciting. I was sorry when the story came to an end and I had to put the book down. So sad Larsson died before publishing the next book - there are still unanswered questions, like "What happened to the sister?", "What happened to the money?" and what happened to the friends re-united at the very end? Another brilliant must-read book.
on 18 July 2014
My review is aimed in part, at those who have read some but not the whole trilogy.

The Millennium Trilogy has many people praising the three novels but also many who clearly don’t like them. I had read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and very much enjoyed it but had not read the other two. I found that “Tattoo” took some time to get going, but the prose (or at least the translation of it) was very distinctive and the plot was good but I think it was the main characters of Mikael and Lisbeth that remained in my memory.

Because of some sight problems I had stopped reading for quite some time, but then bought a Kindle (so that I could enlarge the font size), and kept promising myself I would at some stage read the other two from the trilogy. They are reasonably long novels and was somewhat hesitant as I wondered if I would enjoy them as much as I had the first one.

There had been few years between reading the first and then the second and third novels and I had forgotten just what the prose was like – namely all the things that those who don’t like it, will criticise (too long, too descriptive even to the extent of saying the model of computer or phone etc that is being used). But I am so glad that I eventually got round to reading the other two novels - apparently another seven had been planned, and presumably would have been published but for Steig Larsson’s demise.

A fourth novel is to be published in 2015 but doesn’t have the approval of Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson’s partner as it will not use the unpublished material which is in her possession.

So to sum up, if you have read and enjoyed some but not all of the trilogy I would very much recommend the package as a whole. I would recommend the novels to anyone with the patience for a long but very well plotted story, beautifully descriptive prose and great characters.
on 26 July 2017
The girl who kicked the hornets nest is a very interesting and well written book I have read all the previous books in the collection and haven't been disappointed in any of them the are all brilliant
on 17 December 2014
The last book of the Millennium trilogy picks up exactly where the second book ended. You should stop reading this review if you haven’t read the second book. And if you have read the second book you don’t need to read any review in order know that all books from the trilogy are excellent.

Salander was badly injured at the end of the second book and had been brought into hospital for recovery. Throughout the book you will learn a lot about Slanders past while she is fighting against her enemies from the hospital bed with the help of Blomkvist, people from the police and of course her former employer Armansky from Milton Security.
I think this last book of the trilogy is even better than the first two which were already amazing. This time, I didn’t think that there were slow moments as the events unfold in such a fast pace. It is incredibly hard to put the book down. The feelings of the acting people and the way they think are described in a way which is just brilliant. Salander’s in particular.

No less than five stars!!
on 12 October 2017
The best of the trilogy. A real can't put down book although it could be a ;ittle confusing with the vast amount of characters in the story all with Swedish names, But because I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy the next book even though it was written by a different author after the death of Stieg Larsson.