on 20 August 2017
Having read Andrew's account of his Spain to North Cape cycle trip I bought this book on Kindle. I have thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend this to all budding cycle tourers. Not only does it give a very good insight into the countries he travels through but perhaps more importantly those very personal aspects of being on a bike for days on your own. It can be a lonely time with plenty of thinking. He talks about some things like saddle soreness with sound advice, the difficulties of finding a place to sleep.However he writes with a very amusing tone (to me anyway) and finds at times the people he meets by chance and those he has arranged to meet along this 3000mile trip extremely interesting ?????/
I like his style and will look towards his other books.
Anthony
on 13 May 2015
Unlike the vitriolic Jim 888, I found this book utterly charming and informative. So much so that it has prompted me to follow in Mr Sykes footsteps and do a long-distance trip of my own.

He writes intelligently and with humour, this is not a travelogue, more a diary and an insight into the author's mind has he encounters little and not so little problems en route. If you prefer to drive insulated from life across Europe in your BMW, knowing that ADAC will sort out any mechanical mishaps you may have, perhaps this is not for you - but again, maybe you're just the one who should read it to see what you're missing

Allez, Andrew
on 24 November 2014
Given I thoroughly enjoy cycling and European travel, I had high hopes of liking this book....and it hasn't disappointed whatsoever. The pace of the story-telling is ideal; no item is dwelled upon too long, yet items of real interest are never skipped over/ignored. I also found it a struggle to put the book down....eager to know how the next part of Andrew's journey unfolded. The book also provides plenty of evidence of the warmth of human nature, with many tales told of a number of people of different age, gender and nationality helping Andrew along the journey.
If you like cycling, and are perhaps looking for some inspiration to turn over a few pedals, this book is ideal. After all, Andrew is a just a normal bloke who packed a few panniers (with obligatory uncomfortable camping mat!), bought some maps and went for it.......with unforgettable and memorable results.
I shall be purchasing Andrew's 'Along the Med' book and will be following his 2015 journey from Spain to Norway closely.
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2012
This a passionate read - and if you enjoy travel or you enjoy cycling, this book has the power to keep you reading. Everytime I picked it up to read and set myself the target of a chapter (a days ride on Andrew's route from reading in the UK to Brindisi at the tip of Italy) I'd find myself just reading the start of the next chapter just see what might happen next, and then found myself doing the same at the chapter after that. I had so much empathy with the author, in the way he dealt with people he met and his attitudes towards them, the timings of his 'rest days', the points in the route when he decided to reward himself with a hotel stop rather than another campsite, and the enjoyment he got from just doing something challenging on his own. Loved it.
on 25 October 2015
An entertaining read if a little essay-ish. I doubt non-cyclists would be massively drawn to it, so if it's aimed at cyclists it might have been better to include a bit more detail around the technical side of the bike set up, one or two of the epic climbs (he crossed proper mountain ranges after all), and a bit more logistical detail. Having said that, as a travelogue, it ticked the right boxes, and as I said was an enjoyable read. A better proof reader might have prevented the pedant in me from spotting the many repeated minor errors (it's 'led' not 'lead' for example) and wanting to correct them, but that's just me and my own standards. I have bought the Med sequel on the back of this :-)
on 26 February 2015
I am a relatively new rider and have quickly become obsessed with anything to do with bikes. This was one of the first cycling books that I bought. I did enjoy it. He has a nice easy style of writing and I enjoyed many of his adventures My only comment was that towards the end of the book I did want his journey to end. Would I buy another of the Reggie books, I am not sure..,
on 17 March 2012
Best cycling book I've read to date. Having decided to embark on my own mid-life cycling adventure this year I was looking for a book written for the ordinary guy who aspires to achieve something special. There are plenty of technical, expert accounts around for the super fit and cycling anoraks, but that's not what I wanted. I came across Good Vibrations purely through a Kindle search and more by luck than judgement or recommendation, I found exactly the book I was looking for. Andrew Sykes's style is both informative and amusing - he had me laughing and nodding in agreement on many occasions. I am planning to cycle from Roscoff to Monaco in August 2012 as a way of celebrating my retirement year (early fifties). I don't want to to this for any charitable cause (laudable though that would be), nor do I want to be under any unrealistic time constraints - I just want to succeed in the challenge and enjoy it on the way. Good Vibrations exactly reflects my outlook on such an endeavour - solo, minimal reliance on and contact with others and an intent, come what may, to achieve his goal. My one critical observation was that the book could really do with an appendix detailing the equipment / clothing etc that Andrew took on his trip and what he learned in that regard for a future trip.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 September 2012
That phrase, over-used in the review of books 'the perfect summer read'. Well, this is the perfect WINTER read, because it's like sitting down the pub with your mate trading travel and bike stories with a nice glass of vino by the fire. Andrew Sykes writing is informal, entertaining and possessed of the storytellers skill that makes you want him to keep talking (well, writing, but the metaphor must hold). If you're looking for something to inspire or entertain and you like bikes and travel then go on, buy a copy.
on 10 June 2015
The premise is simple and effective. A "fat, middle-aged" teacher decides on a whim to turn his lifelong cycling habit into a continental summer holiday. With the minimum of planning, he settles on a route following the Eurovelo 5, which as with all things bureaucratic is more notional in places than an actual reality. Despite the ups (the Alps) and downs (emergency repairs), it all comes right in the end for our narrator and his steed, Reggie the bike.
If you're looking for some gentle inspiration to fuel your bike-curious dreams, then reading Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie might just be what you're looking for.

For a more detailed review, see bit.ly/Biker-Hack_Reviews_Reggie
on 21 June 2016
Quite an interesting account of their European travels but eventually ended up like having to look at your friends' holiday snaps- quickly became tedious and monotonous. Not really interested in every cake they ate or meal they enjoyed but we are told that. More like a blog of their travels and of more interest to their own friends and family.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse