on 17 March 2012
Best cycling book I've read to date. Having decided to embark on my own mid-life cycling adventure this year I was looking for a book written for the ordinary guy who aspires to achieve something special. There are plenty of technical, expert accounts around for the super fit and cycling anoraks, but that's not what I wanted. I came across Good Vibrations purely through a Kindle search and more by luck than judgement or recommendation, I found exactly the book I was looking for. Andrew Sykes's style is both informative and amusing - he had me laughing and nodding in agreement on many occasions. I am planning to cycle from Roscoff to Monaco in August 2012 as a way of celebrating my retirement year (early fifties). I don't want to to this for any charitable cause (laudable though that would be), nor do I want to be under any unrealistic time constraints - I just want to succeed in the challenge and enjoy it on the way. Good Vibrations exactly reflects my outlook on such an endeavour - solo, minimal reliance on and contact with others and an intent, come what may, to achieve his goal. My one critical observation was that the book could really do with an appendix detailing the equipment / clothing etc that Andrew took on his trip and what he learned in that regard for a future trip.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 June 2016
Quite an interesting account of their European travels but eventually ended up like having to look at your friends' holiday snaps- quickly became tedious and monotonous. Not really interested in every cake they ate or meal they enjoyed but we are told that. More like a blog of their travels and of more interest to their own friends and family.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 September 2012
That phrase, over-used in the review of books 'the perfect summer read'. Well, this is the perfect WINTER read, because it's like sitting down the pub with your mate trading travel and bike stories with a nice glass of vino by the fire. Andrew Sykes writing is informal, entertaining and possessed of the storytellers skill that makes you want him to keep talking (well, writing, but the metaphor must hold). If you're looking for something to inspire or entertain and you like bikes and travel then go on, buy a copy.
on 13 November 2017
Not finished yet but what I’ve read I like would recommend
on 10 June 2015
The premise is simple and effective. A "fat, middle-aged" teacher decides on a whim to turn his lifelong cycling habit into a continental summer holiday. With the minimum of planning, he settles on a route following the Eurovelo 5, which as with all things bureaucratic is more notional in places than an actual reality. Despite the ups (the Alps) and downs (emergency repairs), it all comes right in the end for our narrator and his steed, Reggie the bike.
If you're looking for some gentle inspiration to fuel your bike-curious dreams, then reading Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie might just be what you're looking for.

For a more detailed review, see bit.ly/Biker-Hack_Reviews_Reggie
on 21 July 2016
I really enjoyed this book. I was with him every step of the way. Andrew's style of writing is so interesting and descriptive. I have purchased another of his and am really looking forward to reading that one too.
on 29 June 2012
I just loved this book and was gripped from start to finish. The author is such an everyman but is so inspiring as he cycles across half of Europe. I really found it difficult to put this book down and it really put me cheered me up every morning and evening traveling on the bus to and from work. The author really makes you feel that if he can undertake such a trip everyone can (think he is being rather self-effacing there though)and he has made me so enthusiastic about taking a long trip on my new bicycle, Talulah. I really couldn't rate this book highly enough - funny, interesting, well written and light-hearted - and I hope he manages another!
on 20 May 2016
One of the most engaging and delightful books of any genre I have had the pleasure of reading. The fact it was about my favourite sport of cycle touring is the icing on the cake. My wife who doesn't even ride a bike loves this book!
on 9 October 2017
Give starts as it kept me smiling throughout, written simply but in a compelling style that made me want to get on my bike,forget Strava and just ride!
on 9 July 2015
I'm a fair weather cyclist who enjoys lying on the couch reading about others as much as getting onto the saddle myself. And there are a number of cycling writers recently who are able to inspire me to get off my couch and back onto my bike, Andrew Sykes being one such. The narrative, in this his first book, meanders at an unhurried pace as does his ride with ReggieTheBike from the UK to southern Italy allowing us to settle back and enjoy the journey with them along the way.